antenna question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanburton33

Antenna suggestions needed.

First off I just bought a Uniden bc396t. Stock antenna. I listen primarily to our State's AWIN system which uses the Apco-25 system. For that system(since I live in the middle of town) i get great reception, the antenna works perfectly fine. Now here is the problem...last weekend I went to my parents(my hometown) and tried listening to our area police, fires....etc. All of these channels are still operated in the 153-159.00 range. The reception was poor/scratchy. I was very frustrated with the reception. I am sure its just the antenna though. My old scanners work fine for back home. My questions are:
1. Is there a better universal antenna to use for both the Apco25 system that operates in the 850-860 range and the conventional 150-160 range or
2. Would it be better to buy a different antenna for the conventional range and swap out as needed.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If all you are interested in is 150 and 800, Larsen makes a 150-400-800 mhz antenna that most say works pretty well for them. You will need to supply your own mount (NMO type). On the Ham Radio Outlet website, the model is listed as 'NMO150/450/800' and in stock. 73 Mike

Last edited:

specman

It sounds like an exterior antenna is out of the question for you?

I've had surprisingly good results with this cheapie from Radio Shack: Center-Loaded Telescoping Whip Antenna - RadioShack.com

It comes with instructions on how to adjust the length for various frequencies.

Please note that even with the most efficient portable antenna you still may not end up with satisfactory results.. sometimes you must get an antenna up higher or outside.

ryanburton33

Your right, i am hoping for a antenna that connects to my 396 and is still technically portable. I don't want to have mount anything. I was just hoping for a better replacement antenna.

FlashP

Source for VHF / SMA?

Does anyone know of a good source for VHF hi-band ducks, to fit the 396 SMA directly? I've got one that I love, but the dealer is long gone.

Thanks,
Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.