Larson Tri-Band vs. Scan-Force Mobile Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

radiopro52

Well, I'm getting deeper in the scanner hobby so I'm going to get a mobile antenna for my car. Using the stock antenna with the BCT15 while the vehicle is moving does very poorly, so I need to get a mobile antenna, but I don't want to drill holes just yet. My bands of interest are mostly VHF-Hi and UHF, although at least some reception on 800 MHz would be nice too for listening in other areas.

I've decided between the Larson and the Scan-Force. The Scan-Force would be a little cheaper and I read that it's a good performer. I've also hear many good things about the Larson, but it would cost a few dollars more since you have to buy the mount. However I'm willing to spend that extra few dollars if the Larson is the overall better performer. Anyone have a direct comparison? Thanks.

dyrtjunkie

Radio pro, I'm in the same boat. Same scanner, same antenna, same questions. Most people are telling me to get the Larsen 150/450/800. I want to emulate what the PD has on their cruisers. I'm gonna look at this Scan Force antenna. If you find out any other recommended options, please let me know. Thanks

n5ims

Neither will be what the PD is using. Scanners are designed for a very wide frequency range so scanner antennas cover a wide band (the Larsen covers three bands) while the PD uses radios that cover a fairly narrow frequency band and their antennas are tuned for only the frequencies that they use (only a single band). Quite often the systems are designed to limit the range that they cover, which is generally not what the scanner owner wants. This is done to reduce interference with other systems.

I have several of the Larsens and they work well for my scanning.

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
I use the Larson mentioned. Its a very good antenna for my needs from vhf to uhf.
Keep in mind that the one antenna that works great for someone might not work for you. I experimented with three different antenna's before deciding which one to keep.

Ron

radiopro52

Radio pro, I'm in the same boat. Same scanner, same antenna, same questions. Most people are telling me to get the Larsen 150/450/800. I want to emulate what the PD has on their cruisers. I'm gonna look at this Scan Force antenna. If you find out any other recommended options, please let me know. Thanks
There are numerous tri-band antennas out there, but the Larsen and the Scan-Force seem to be the two best choices from what I've been reading. I read on this forum that the Scan-Force doesn't do too well on 800 MHz, while the Larsen does pretty well in all three bands. So I've been leaning toward the Larsen. But what I'm thinking is that the Scan-Force is 22" long while the Larsen is only 16.5" long, and I'm wondering if the Scan-Force may do slightly better in VHF and UHF. So if anyone can let me know please do.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
I am running 2 larson 150/450/800's 1 larson 2/70 1 radio shack mag sccanner antenna and 1 radio shack glass mount scanner antenna. Like said before if you want police antennas buy a 800 5/8 gain larson a 5/8 gain uhf larson or a 150 5/8 gain larson. I get good results both the larson's I use the triband on the scanner that has the 800 p25 system in it and I use the 2/70 for the scanner that looks at my vhf 150's and 460's. The main thing is what band are you most wanting to hear my uhf vhf range is about 40 air miles and 800 is 30 air miles.

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
Neither will be what the PD is using. Scanners are designed for a very wide frequency range so scanner antennas cover a wide band (the Larsen covers three bands) while the PD uses radios that cover a fairly narrow frequency band and their antennas are tuned for only the frequencies that they use (only a single band). Quite often the systems are designed to limit the range that they cover, which is generally not what the scanner owner wants. This is done to reduce interference with other systems.

I have several of the Larsens and they work well for my scanning.
why wouldn't they use the larsen or maxrad scanner antenna varieties? They have scanners in their patrol cars.

radiopro52

Well I decided to buy the Larsen. I just ordered it today, along with the Larsen NMOMMR-BNC Mag Mount from Cheapham. I can't wait to get it and install it. I'll post here again with my opinion of how it performs.

radiopro52

Well, the Larsen is here! Cheapham shipped it very fast and it took 3 days to arrive from New Jersey. The antenna was very easy to assemble and took just minutes to install.

DSCF0258.jpg

I put it as close to the center of the roof as I could and fed the coax through the door.

DSCF0260.jpg

Now, performance. It does excellent on 800 MHz. It receives a 800 MHz trunking system almost as good as my base LP antenna. It doesn't receive VHF-Hi or UHF as good, but I guess that is to be expected. It does well enough I suppose. Some signals still fade in and out while driving, but I guess that's no surprise either. Overall I'm satisfied with the Larsen for the money and look forward to traveling to distant places with it.

Fast1eddie

Why don't you install a angle (L) mount inside the trunk???? They tend to run about $7.00, require 3 1/8 in holes for the enclosed self tapping screws. Extremely solid and easy to run to coax. Just installed one on my '07 Milan. I am using a Austin Spectra for my 8200, excellent receive. Monitoring a county vhf public safety freqs from 30-40 miles away, in the greater Pittsburgh area.

drdeputy

Premium Subscriber
That's what I was going to say. Our agency is still on VHF high, but use a scanner as well because we need to monitor UHF as well as 800 MHz trunked. We have a dedicated multi-band scanner antenna on the cars as well as the transmit antenna.

Firefox89

Premium Subscriber
Anybody use the Larson tri-band with a VHF-Low band (46.XX)? I'm looking for a good tri-Band but a lot of FDs here still use low band as well and I would like to make sure I get that coverage as well. Thanks!

Last edited:

DJ11DLN

Anybody use the Larson tri-band with a VHF-Low band (46.XX)? I'm looking for a good tri-Band but a lot of FDs here still use low band as well and I would like to make sure I get that coverage as well. Thanks!
Wow, talk about resurrecting old threads...

In my (admittedly limited) experience, the Larsen doesn't work well on VHF-Lo. I have 3 of them and am very happy with their performance, but there is next to no VHF-Lo active here, so no loss. You'll need a longer antenna to hit Lo-band reliably. Take a look at the Austin Spectra, it has a good reputation as an all-bands antenna, including VHF-Lo, though I have no first-hand experience with it.

Firefox89

Premium Subscriber
Yeah I committed thread CPR, instead of creating a new thread about the same antenna, I figured I would just try CPR to get the talk going again.

scottyhetzel

I run the Austin spectra roof mounted in my truck. California highway patrol uses 39-46 MHz. Works great....my dedicated laird low band antenna is much better...however it's very tall compared to the Austin. The best low band period is the laird.
Bast is the new laird wideband vhf low...pricey $150.00 in all black. Chp uses this antenna on their interceptors. Laird built this antenna specifically for chp. The best way to get performance is have one scanner with this antenna, the additional scanner with a tri band Larson .

The vhf low antenna works the best on a ground plane... Nmo hole mount type.....no magnet mounts.

Last edited:

lu81fitter

The best route, in my opinion, is to have an antenna for each band. And I drill my NMO mounts in. Better performance and better, more professional look. Some people don't like a lot of antennas on vehicles though, and also don't want to drill holes. 1/4 wave antennas do well when used with diplexers to feed one radio. The NMO mounts also allow you to change out to gain antennas if you desire.
That is just my opinion. Go with what works for you.

scottyhetzel

The best route, in my opinion, is to have an antenna for each band. And I drill my NMO mounts in. Better performance and better, more professional look. Some people don't like a lot of antennas on vehicles though, and also don't want to drill holes. 1/4 wave antennas do well when used with diplexers to feed one radio. The NMO mounts also allow you to change out to gain antennas if you desire.

I agree 100%.

KC9QFU

Premium Subscriber

I've often wondered how to you multiple inputs for a radio...

Status
Not open for further replies.