my first outdoor antenna...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mparker

i think i am going to purchase a antennacraft st2 and mount it on a pole off the top of my faux chimney on the back of the house (if the wife allows) or mount it to a truss in the attic...

anyhow will it give me good performance for public safty listing and 800? ive also been intrigued by nasa/iss/shuttle listening also... i think thats in the low 100's....

thanks guys...

James04TJ

The ST2 performs very well for the money. If you can fit it in your attic I would recommend doing so rather than placing it outdoors. They do not survive wind very well. We currently have one in three pieces on the roof of our building.

Sinister

Premium Subscriber
can it be mounted vertically?

Hi mparker,
I think your trying to ask if it can be mounted horizontally to fit in your attic. Since signals travel vertically, mounting it in a horizontal manner would give poor performance.

Last edited:

mparker

Hi mparker,
I think your trying to ask if it can be mounted horizontally.

yeah, thats what i ment...

i defiantly dont have 8' of vert space in the attic... well thats shoots that idea.. i guess ill just go with a discone but i dont want to lose 800 performance...

W6KRU

yeah, thats what i ment...

i defiantly dont have 8' of vert space in the attic... well thats shoots that idea.. i guess ill just go with a discone but i dont want to lose 800 performance...

I'm shopping for something similar. I already have the RS 20-176 and it does good on 150/450 and OK on 800 but I need a second antenna and I would prefer something that is better on 800 even if it doesn't do 150/450. I don't want a yagi or LP and I've heard that groundplanes aren't very good on 800. :confused:

mparker

yeah, it also has to have a high WAF (wife acceptance factor) lol but if i can stuff it in the attic she wont care...

W6KRU

Dan you did not leave many options for yourself on that one. :)

Yeah. I know. I am considering building a coax collinear to see how that works.

A while ago someone posted a iink to a site that had pages and pages of antennas. I searched back through the antenna forum last night and couldn't find it. Anybody remember that link?

Status
Not open for further replies.