All Band Antenna Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

frozensun090

Hey, I'm looking to upgrade the antenna on my BCD396T. I'd like to get some suggestions on what has worked for people. My main goal is extend the range that the scanner picks up. I'd like an all band antenna but specifically ones for the 150-170mHz range as well as 450-550mHz and some 800mHz. I still want my scanner to be portable so I'd like to keep length down to around 7" unless it is telescoping. I prefer flexible but if telescopic I understand that there is a trade off. SMA or BNC connectors. So far I've been looking at the Watson Regular gainer and am slightly leaning towards the Watson Telegainer.

Any help or suggestions are much appreciated. Budget <$40 w/o shipping

Last edited:

ampulman

Hey, I'm looking to upgrade the antenna on my BCD396T. I'd like to get some suggestions on what has worked for people. My main goal is extend the range that the scanner picks up. I'd like an all band antenna but specifically ones for the 150-170mHz range as well as 450-550mHz. I still want my scanner to be portable so I'd like to keep length down to around 7" unless it is telescoping. I prefer flexible but if telescopic I understand that there is a trade off. SMA or BNC connectors. So far I've been looking at the Watson Regular gainer and am slightly leaning towards the Watson Telegainer.

Any help or suggestions are much appreciated. Budget <$40 w/o shipping

I've been using the Radio Shack 800 mhz antenna and it's just fine for my listening (150, 400, 500, 800). Being a BNC antenna, it's easy on/easy off. Adapter also reduces/eliminates strain on the SMA connector.

Amp

eastrocks400

Im looking for a mobile antenna, with about the same frequency ranges as frozensun. I do also need to pick up some 800mhz, but mostly UHF and starting shortly, 500mhz. People said the RS Mag mount sucks. How about the maxrad BMAXSCAN 1000?? The 500mhz range is not listed in its specifications, but will it still pick it up?

drumstick

Premium Subscriber
Antenna

I just got a Watson W889 and it does a much better job than the stock Uniden antenna. The Watson is a well made but fairly expensive antenna. I feel it's worth the price for the better reception

frozensun090

I just got a Watson W889 and it does a much better job than the stock Uniden antenna. The Watson is a well made but fairly expensive antenna. I feel it's worth the price for the better reception

Glad to hear that. Does it feel pretty durable? I played a little with the radio shack telescoping antenna and it felt like it was going to fall apart in the bag. I think the w889 is what I will eventually buy so thanks for the advice on it.

drumstick

Premium Subscriber
Yes, much more durable than the Radio Shack version. The Watson W889 extends from 5" to 16".
I find it to be a great antenna that covers all bands. The Radio Shack 800mHz "rubber duck" antenna is also a very good antenna ($19.95, I think), but the Watson still beats it.

Status
Not open for further replies.