Can a SW longwire antenna be used as a scanner antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

raisindot

Caveat--I'm a total electronics/hardware idiot here, so please be kind.

Anyway, I finally finished installing my new PAR EF SWL antenna, and (I believe) actually even did the grounding thing right. I have it attached with a 12 foot coax cable to my Icom R-75, and it works great, although I guess I thought it might bring in more "tropical" stations instead of simply making the evangelical stations come in clearer.

Anyhoo, I was wondering whether, with the use of some kind of coax-to-BNC adaptor, I could use this same antenna with my PSR 500 scanner? I realize there would probably be overload issues, but, in general, do you think this would help improve the range of reception more than the Diamond rubber duck and RS 800MHz antennas I've been using?

I know I could easily find out myself by buying the adaptor and trying it, but thought I might get your input first. I have the PAR SWL antenna wire attached to the matchbox, which is screwed into my basement window sill. I am using the full length of the included 45' wire, running 'straight" (i.e., not L) to a tree. The wire reaches a maximum height of around 6' at the tree. I have it grounded via a copper cable from the proper matchbox connector running to a 8' ground rod.

Note that I do not wish to install any more antennas at this point--this one is quite enough.

Thanks in advance!

Suzie

prcguy

It will pick up something but not to the extent a purpose made VHF/UHF scanner antenna will get. The matching transformer on the PAR is optimized for HF and will be lossy at VHF/UHF. The wire is very long with respect to wavelengths at VHF/UHF and most of the reception would be off the ends, but your antenna is bent and probably not aimed at anything in particular. Bottom line is try it and if it gets the stations you want its good enough.
prcguy

key2_altfire

I was using a random wire antenna on my rig (Icom R-1500). It really boosted my MW reception, but on VHF and UHF the performance was simply dreadful. Now I'm using a whip for that, and switch antennas using a patch panel on my radio rack.

alfapapamike

If you've got a Diamond now (RH77?) you'll be better served with that I think than a longwire. For serious scanning look at a dedicated antenna or a broadband scanning antenna.

KI6ABZ

Premium Subscriber
antennas are pretty much optimized at 1/4, 5/8, or 1/2 wave. Going any longer than that probably won't give you much more gain, and it can cause you serious headaches.

As the others have already said, you're probably best off sticking with antenna matched for that wavelength, like the Diamond RH-77CA.

Status
Not open for further replies.