j-pole in PVC

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9ZVV

I'm building a 2 meter J-pole and it's going in a piece of PVC pipe,and all the stuff I have read they put the antenna inside a piece either 1/2" or 3/4",But I just happen to have a piece that is 1 1/4" in diameter,and was wondering if the diameter of the pipe makes any differance?(besides just being larger and heavier)

Thanx in advance.

Hoofy

Are you making the antenna from a piece of 300 ohm tv leadin wire? If you are, then you will need to support it inside the 1 1/4 pipe or it will sag down inside the pipe.

Depending which kind of plastic pipe you are using may make a difference in the performance of the antenna inside. The thicker side wall pipe may act like a mild attenuator.

Try it and see what happens you won't be out anything but some time.

N9ZVV

I forgot to mention, it will be made out of twin lead,it will also be supported by a wood dowel,I guess I didn't think about the thickness of the pipe,I'll just give it a try and see what happens.
Thanx for the reply.

specman

I've made many many j-poles, co-linears and other designs inside PVC piping. The diameter used will not affect the design, however the thickness of the pipe will. I can't remember the exact velocity factor of the PVC I used but I had to end up adjusting my designs slightly compared to the same antenna outside of the PVC; they were shortened slightly. In the case of a J-Pole make sure there is some allowance to adjust the feed slightly if you are using this for transmitting purposes.

The thing I like about these types of antennas is that they are very weatherproof and easy to hang off of trees etc.

Good luck!

N5TWB

Assuming it is easily available to you, fiberglass tubing is more transparent to RF than is PVC and might save you some of the steps described in the above posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.