Mobile scanner antenna options?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kumba

Premium Subscriber
Not looking for anything too large or that involves drilling holes in my car, so I looked up these two Valor antenna models on Universal Radio. Wanted to know any impressions, opinions, or tips regarding them:

Car antenna coupler:
Valor PDC64 Car Antenna Coupler

Trunk lip-mounted antenna:
Valor 652B Mobile Scanner Antenna

Trunk lip mounted has me puzzled...does it sit inside the trunk, a.k.a., not visible, or does it somehow latch onto the trunk when the lid is closed? I've got an 07 Toyota Camry, which since they're so streamlined, spots to stick antennas look tricky to me. But then again, I'm new to all of this, and currently just living off the rubber ducky in my handheld.

Thanks!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I've never heard much good about these 'couplers' - too much of a compromise (and let's face it, mobile antennas - say at 30 or 40 mhz - are compromises - Many are much too small to be efficient at VHF lo frequencies). I had a clone of that 2nd one, and it worked OK, but not all that great.

I have an older Camry, and a trunk lip mount is exactly what it sounds like - a portion of the mount fits over the lip of the trunk, and is held in place by set screws which should bite into the metal (in most cases - there are, for example, ham antennas that don't need this) to make a good mechanical (and some electrical) connection. I have a heavy duty Diamond mount using an Austin Spectra, and it works just fine for my needs (basically concentrating on UHF/800 and a little VHF hi and VHF lo). I've used it on both my old 245 and 396, and am generally pleased with the way it has stood up to the weather.

You would have to be a bit more specific about what frequencies you want to cover; choosing the right mount sometimes also means making sure the antenna you choose has the right connector to mate to it.

I'm not a real fan of mag mounts for a permanent solution - unless you put some mylar or something else around the base, it will scratch your car up every time to take it off. And of course, magnets wear down over time.

73 Mike

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
A trunk lip mount is exactly that---it clamps via set screws on the top or side edge of your trunk lid. You can purchase these from Scanner Master, or most any amateur radio dealer, such as AES, HRO, and others.

I like the Larsen tri band scanner antenna, called the Larsen 150/450/800. They are available at most amateur radio dealers. This antenna accepts the industry standard NMO mount, and you can get an NMO trunk lip or magnetic mount to use with it.

Kumba

Premium Subscriber
I've never heard much good about these 'couplers' - too much of a compromise (and let's face it, mobile antennas - say at 30 or 40 mhz - are compromises - Many are much too small to be efficient at VHF lo frequencies). I had a clone of that 2nd one, and it worked OK, but not all that great.

I have an older Camry, and a trunk lip mount is exactly what it sounds like - a portion of the mount fits over the lip of the trunk, and is held in place by set screws which should bite into the metal (in most cases - there are, for example, ham antennas that don't need this) to make a good mechanical (and some electrical) connection. I have a heavy duty Diamond mount using an Austin Spectra, and it works just fine for my needs (basically concentrating on UHF/800 and a little VHF hi and VHF lo). I've used it on both my old 245 and 396, and am generally pleased with the way it has stood up to the weather.

You would have to be a bit more specific about what frequencies you want to cover; choosing the right mount sometimes also means making sure the antenna you choose has the right connector to mate to it.

I'm not a real fan of mag mounts for a permanent solution - unless you put some mylar or something else around the base, it will scratch your car up every time to take it off. And of course, magnets wear down over time.

73 Mike

Ditto on mag mounts -- I already got one nice scratch/gouge on a door from a friendly DC parking garage. Don't need an antenna mount to add to it. I looked up more specific images of what a trunk lip mount can be used for, and I think that might work. But I'll need to look over my trunk lid later on to double check. Toyota puts in good weather sealing on them, and that might be disturbed by one. Not to mention, I'll have to check for a spot where "biting" into the metal would'nt damage the exterior paint of the trunk lid (it's metal I think). The fun part would be cable routing...

Actual frequencies, well, the required ones would be the trunked frequencies, 800MHz and such. Be nice to pick up the VHF where I can tune into local Skywarn traffic (I've listed similar in my other antenna thread for more fixed scanning), and the low VHF in the ~39MHz range where I'll be able to listen to MD's state police when I'm outside of my county (because I can pick them up just fine on my county's TRS, where they have a dedicated TGID).

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The screws bite into the underside of the trunk so it's virtually invisible.

You're going to have a somewhat difficult time, I think, getting something that's reasonably efficient at 39 mhz. Most are simply too short. However, there have been several wide band antennas that have been advertised here (via Scanner Master) that might be worth a look.

If you can live with VHF and up, then the Larsen 150-400-800 mhz antenna that has been mentioned here many times is an inexpensive way to go. Many ham dealers carry this antenna (although you would need to supply your own mount). From the past traffic on this forum, a lot of people like that antenna

73 Mie

Kumba

Premium Subscriber
The screws bite into the underside of the trunk so it's virtually invisible.

You're going to have a somewhat difficult time, I think, getting something that's reasonably efficient at 39 mhz. Most are simply too short. However, there have been several wide band antennas that have been advertised here (via Scanner Master) that might be worth a look.

If you can live with VHF and up, then the Larsen 150-400-800 mhz antenna that has been mentioned here many times is an inexpensive way to go. Many ham dealers carry this antenna (although you would need to supply your own mount). From the past traffic on this forum, a lot of people like that antenna

73 Mie

Yeah, I've presumed that the MSP cars with the really large antenna jutting out the side near their gas tank is probably their low VHF antenna. Sticking one of those on is bound to draw me some undesired attention :)

I went looking for that Larsen mentioned here, on both Universal Radio and Scanner Master, and didn't see it. Is it a rare antenna?

W6KRU

Neat, thanks!

Hmm, what's the coverage on this for the military stuff in the 300MHz range and say, high 700MHz? (like, 774MHz and stuff, just in case PG County's new 700MHz system ever gets figured out -- future proofing)?

You are welcome. I have no experience with the antenna but it should be very comparable to anything else available unless you cut an antenna for just those frequencies. Hopefully someone will come along who has used the antenna for similar frequencies.

Kumba

Premium Subscriber
Before I ran off and grabbed that Larsen tri-band, I stumbled across another antenna called a Spectra Multiband. Supposedly covers quite a few ranges, including the low VHF. Anyone heard of this one?

Radioware & Radio Bookstore - Spectra Multiband Mobile

Also, as far as mounts go, are mounts specific to antenna brands? I see "NMO" tossed around as a prefix of some kind, but I've not dug deep on what exactly I should look for in a car mount (especially trunk lip ones). I checked my Camry's trunk out, and I think I can get something to fit on the back edge without it interfering with the rear windshield or such. But if anyone else has mounted antennas on 2007-style Camry's (And newer), I'm all ears for tips!

Cabling, I figure I'll just have to snake something through the car. Not like I have passengers very often, so I suppose I don't need to worry about trying to hide a spool of coax under trim panels and whatnot.

KOK5CY

I've been in this great hobby for 19 yr's and ive used diffrent name brand antenna's for my mobiles and there is nothing out there that comes close to a larsen nmo150 yes it's a vhf hi band . But i've used the same model for every band i had programmed in 44mhz all the way up to 800 . Why people go out and spend big $$$ on those tri band model's i'll never know . Anyway i'd go with a nmo tlm it's very secure coax is hidden and the mount is well grounded .

Kumba

Premium Subscriber
I've been in this great hobby for 19 yr's and ive used diffrent name brand antenna's for my mobiles and there is nothing out there that comes close to a larsen nmo150 yes it's a vhf hi band . But i've used the same model for every band i had programmed in 44mhz all the way up to 800 . Why people go out and spend big $$$ on those tri band model's i'll never know . Anyway i'd go with a nmo tlm it's very secure coax is hidden and the mount is well grounded .
Well, I'm still new to the hobby mostly (but I hope to say in 19-20 years the same thing that you've said). Starting with scanners and going to eventually look into actual HAM Radio down the road. Rather than spend the big $$$'s straightaway though, I'm seeking out opinions to learn about the good models and such, plus other necessary tricks to get a good and decent (but by no means perfect) setup going.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I have had great success with Diamond mounts - I have a heavy duty NMO mount right now on my Camry where the paint is coming off, but the connection is still solid as a rock. Mechanically never had any trouble with them, and that's in almost 10 years of using them. Even bought a couple of weather caps so that I can cover the connection in case of bad weather (I usually take my antennas off my car when I am at home - not a good idea to advertise this stuff in the GB area...)

A bit expensive but you get what you pay for 73 Mike

NYRHKY94

Kumba:

Here's a picture of the Larsen Tri-Band on my 05' Camry using the trunk lip mount. I'm a big fan of the Larsen for all-band monitoring, especially VHF high band. 800 mhz is not bad either from my experience. I got mine at Ham Radio Outlet.

Thanks

Last edited:

Kumba

Premium Subscriber
Kumba:

Here's a picture of the Larsen Tri-Band on my 05' Camry using the trunk lip mount. I'm a big fan of the Larsen for all-band monitoring, especially VHF high band. 800 mhz is not bad either from my experience. I got mine at Ham Radio Outlet.

Thanks

Thanks!, that looks pretty neat. Still been poking around for something that'll hit the low VHF range as well as everything else, and it looks like this Austin Spectra is one option, but the price is scary-looking. I'm also hearing about another one called Comtelco, but can't find much technical info on it (just places that want to sell it). Not looking to pick up the low band for like, 30+ miles, but 5-10 would probably work for listening to MSP in the MD counties that lack a talkgroup patch for them.

Research on the Larsen indicates that some have had luck picking up low VHF with it, but it's spotty or not well established. Other threads on these forums suggest a glass mount cell phone antenna works great, but I'm a bit dubious on that. Has anyone ever compiled a web page of mobile antenna options, like the page below of a guy who rated handheld scanner antennas?:

AWH: See How Different Scanner Antennas/TV Antennas Rate!

Kumba

Premium Subscriber
Okay, got the Larsen tri-band, plus the NMO mount, and so far, so good. It works great! (Wish it did low-band VHF). But some caveats for those installing on the newer-model Camry's (2007 and newer).

1. Can't mount on the side of the trunk lip because the edge is really short, and there's a weld seam there that gets in the way. Plus the NMO mounting clip impedes the closing/latching of the trunk somewhat.

2. CAN mount on the rear of the lid, dead center, and when you fully lift the trunk lid up, the tip of the antenna touches the glass and slides up about an inch, so it looks like this is the best spot on this model of Camry.

3. The mount doesn't sit 100% flush with the lid, so the gap may possibly cause problems to the paint job and all. I did wrap the bottom of my mount in electrical tape because the pad was coming off, and I don't want water getting inside the mount.

Now a new question I've discovered -- is there something that we can use to filter out the "pulsing" one gets from certain brands of cell phones, especially those used on the Cingular (now AT&T) network?

Status
Not open for further replies.