Mobile Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

timenright

We are building a custom coach and need some help with the antennas and cabling. I do not currently have my amateur license but I can see it being my rocking chair hobby. I want to make sure that I get all the right cabling and fittings in place before we seal up the walls. I will start with a brief description with questions at the end. Please help me do this right.

What we have so far:
AM/FM/CB: co-phased and side mounted with 48” fiberglass whip (RAMI).
Cellular: NMO roof mount omni (Wilson), N fitting high gain omni (Digital Antenna).
Scanner (BCD996T): NMO mount on roof for omni (Laird ABSCANC)

The coach has a fiberglass/plastic roof with aluminum sides. We will be installing solar panels on the roof that will measure 72”x104” (WxL). The panels have a layer of aluminum, photovoltaic material and then glass on the top. We have room on the forward and rear ends of the panels for mounting antennas. We are targeting the forward end because this coach will be pulling a trailer that is 2’ higher than itself (the coach is 11.5’ tall).

1. In addition to the radio noted above, what mobile radios would you want?

2. I need to know how big to make the ground plane. On the same rack that holds the solar panels we will add an aluminum sheet that is 72” wide. This will allow for 6 antennas. The cellular antenna only needs a 4” ground plane so our current dimension is 72x4”. Including the radios that I will want, how big should I make the ground plane? 72"x??"

3. What holes should I drill? It looks like the antenna spacing is 12”. I know what I should do for the 3 antennas already listed. What should I do for the 3 remaining holes? Do I drill for the biggest mount and then use a washer if we need a smaller mount? Also, should I refrain from powder coating the panel?

4. What cable and fitting should I use? I can’t tell you how many times that I have looked behind that high tech TV only to find a composite cable. How important is it to use low loss cable and do I need a lightning arrester? What kind of an end should I put on the 3 remaining cables?

5. What mast and mount should I use? I would like to put a 6-8’ mast on the top of the roof for a directional antenna while we are parked for extended periods. I am thinking about a fishing pole type of mount the mast can set in. If this will work what is the most common size of mast?

Thank you for taking the time to read through this and I would really appreciate knowing what you would do in this situation …

… tim

Status
Not open for further replies.