RG-174 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

safetypro79

Scanning since 1967
Premium Subscriber
Anchorage-Alaska, Boise-Idaho, Salem-Oregon
Anyone using RG-174 for mobile coax connections. ?

I am considering the EUR-AM NMO/FME NMO mount along with a trunk-Lid mount and some sort of tri-band antenna. I'd lke to use smaller coax on my 2006 Ford Taurus.
I am using my PRO-106 in the vehicle

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I would suggest that you find an on-line coax loss calculator, and plug in the frequencies of interest, and how much cable you think you'd use. I'd also mention that you probably won't actually notice any degradation until losses start to approach 5 or 6 db.

It's not the greatest stuff in the world to use to connect to antennas, but if the loss is acceptable, and there is specific requirement for a very small coax, then the trade-off can be made to work.

kc4jgc

Anyone using RG-174 for mobile coax connections. ?

I am considering the EUR-AM NMO/FME NMO mount along with a trunk-Lid mount and some sort of tri-band antenna. I'd lke to use smaller coax on my 2006 Ford Taurus.
I am using my PRO-106 in the vehicle

I use 6ft of RD 174 for my work vehicle install: Kenwood TM 631A and 2m/222/440 antenna. This is only good for short runs. Assuming at leat 12-15 ft run from your trunk lid mount to you '106, I'm afraid you'll lose a lot of signal, especially at 800MHz. If you antenna has decent gain it may overcome the line losses.

Status
Not open for further replies.