Dual Antenna's

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalCarnage

I have a Grand Prix running a BCD796T with a maxrad antenna. I usually use the antenna to listen to 800mhz systems which it works very well. I also listen to a 140mhz system which the antenna picks up well but doesnt get the best range. I have an identical mount and identical antenna laying around and a BNC T-Connector and was wondering if i hooked them both into the scanner running them at the same time, would it help with reception at all? I was thinking since the antennas are not mounted at the highest point of the car and may suffer from signal degradation depending on the angle of the car in reference to the signal source?

Could this possibly help a little, or is there factors that would actually do the opposite and make the signal worse?

N

N_Jay

Unless you are very careful and really know what you are doing, two antennas connected with a "T" will create effectively a random antenna network and provide unpredictable results.

You are likely to get some gain at some frequencies and significant nulls at other frequencies.

Additionally, you will get a fair amount of unpredictable and random directional gains and nulls.

MetalCarnage

Unless you are very careful and really know what you are doing, two antennas connected with a "T" will create effectively a random antenna network and provide unpredictable results.

You are likely to get some gain at some frequencies and significant nulls at other frequencies.

Additionally, you will get a fair amount of unpredictable and random directional gains and nulls.

K thanks....maybe i will just try it for the hell of it and see if i get gains in the right spots....signal levels are usually pretty consistent, so i should notice right away if it gets worse. didnt know if i could pull in signals a little better if i did that

N

N_Jay

Just remember, it may "Seem" better only to have big directional or frequency nulls that are hard to define.

Status
Not open for further replies.