Need advice on two antennas (home and mobile)

Status
Not open for further replies.

clazlo

Premium Subscriber
I'm a long time ham that recently got into scanning. (It's very interesting). I need advice on antennas for my home and car. (The little whip on the hand held I have is not very good). I was looking at a DPD (?) log periodic for the house. Can anyone suggest any good log periodics or yagis that cover 150-450-850 range. (that's what I mostly listen too). I need gain from the antenna since I live in the middle of nowhere. I just dropped a ton of cash for a new EME setup so I would like to keep the prices for the antennas on the lower side.

The car option is a little more complicated. I have a car that I would rather not have huge antennas sticking out of. (Its a German sports car, I'll leave it at that.) Besides ascetics, I would rather not have the antenna ripped off while driving. I was looking as some of the "phantom" type antennas and they look perfect. What I would love to find is one of the "phantom" type of antennas that cover the 150-450-850 band. It does not have to be the "phantom" type but anything that is small and black in color would be perfect.

I may actually just mount it on the back deck behind the back seats with a small metal place under it for a ground plane. That way I could throw a hat over it and you would never even know it was there.

Does anyone know of an antenna that would cover 2-3 of those bands that is in a "phantom" type shape?

Thanks in advance for the help.

clazlo

Premium Subscriber
OK, since I'm not getting many ideas here, can someone just help me with the car antenna? Is there a small "phantom" type antenna that does 150-450-800Mhz?

Thx.

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
Tri-band low profiles

Clazlo - I've been looking for the same as you for the car for several years. I've spent hours on the internet and I honestly don't believe a Phantom-type 150-450-800 antenna is out there. I drive a Mercedes 320 diesel with two NMO roof-mount antennas. One goes to my scanner (396T/RH96) and the other to my two-way radio that I use to monitor VHF/UHF conventional. I normally monitor 800 MHz on my scanner. I occasionally use the Phantoms for both on my car but as you would expect, they don't seem to work as well on a scanner as they do for public safety folks using a 100 watt radio. So, I use a small 3db gain Laird for my 800 MHz:

B8063 - Antenex 5/8 Wave Antenna (806-866MHz, 3dB Gain, 4 7/8" Straight Whip)

and a Comet SBB-1/SBB-1NMO for my two-way. This antenna is a 16" rubber (very flexible) antenna which I use so that driving in/out of my garage won't break my antenna. This one bends wonderfully.

I know I haven't told you what you're looking for but hopefully I've helped. Bottom line - I've not found a low-profile tri-band antenna (150-450-800). If you find one, let me know

Status
Not open for further replies.