Review/Comments wanted for a Moonraker Skyscan Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

txzeke

Premium Subscriber
Review coming

I finally got the Mobile Scanner Antennas - Moonraker UK Limited today. Total cost with shipping from the UK to North Central Arkansas was $60 U.S. Dollars and it got here in about a weeks time. I will be evaluating this antenna for a week or so and posting pics of it soon. So far, it seems like a good antenna. Clarity level on VHf, UHF, and 800 seems to be better than the wideband's I have used. Stay tuned for a final review in a few weeks time. I have many hills to travel in the Ozark/Boston Mountain area I live in to evaluate this antenna with.

txzeke

Premium Subscriber
MoonRaker Antenna Pics

txzeke-albums-moonraker-picture1652-mr1.jpg

txzeke-albums-moonraker-picture1653-mr2.jpg

24 inches in total height from base to top

Last edited:

txzeke

Premium Subscriber
The Review

Here it is at last.

It's been kinda hard to review this antenna because of the hills I live in of the Ozark/Boston Mountains. But I believe this really is a great antenna from the UK.

Having all 4 bands with properly tuned elements is a greatness I have never felt in a single element wideband antenna. I have always felt that there was to much sacrificed building a reception device into one single element.

With this antenna, it's compact, and definitely wideband. The sound clarity on the PSR-500 has a very noticeable increase. With me, there always seemed to be a little distortion, signal loss, hissing sounds, from the single element antenna's. This antenna takes that away. It's seems like instead of just a scanner, I have an actual radio I am listening to, of the people I am monitoring.

With any antenna in these hills, I have signal loss. That's a given. But when the signal does reach me, I am amazed at the clarity of the sound and reception level.

So in a more open area, I really believe this antenna will rock just fine. And it will knock down those extra antenna's that some may attach to reach the clarity they want on a specific band. To those people I suggest hooking a splitter up if you have a specific scanner of 2 or more in your vehicle assigned to a specific band. 4 scanners, 4 bands, 1 antenna. Image the smiles the wife and kids will give ya after decreasing the embarresment of all those antenna's outside your vehicle.

One negative feedback though. The length of the coax isn't as long as most US made single elements. But it's workable and I am sure there will be many ideas from those that really the need the extra length to accomadate this one shortfall.

All in all. This is the best mobile scanner antenna I have ever had.

Last edited:

perseus68

Thanks for your effort in reviewing it.
Ir really look cools !
Actually I was looking at its specs but just a generic Frequency range like RX: 25-2000 MHz is reported.
So what are the four frequencies it should be tuned at ?

73s
Marco

Status
Not open for further replies.