Best Indoor Scanner Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

mondaro

Feed Provider
Hello Everyone...

I am looking for some opinions here. I am taking the my 996 and BC15 on summer vacation.
Now I am not looking to pick up any great distance nut I would like some opinion about what type of
Indoor antenna would work the best picking up local transmission on simplex like boardwalk operations
from only a couple of blocks away in the upper floor of a four story hotel. I was thinking about this
one

ANT135BNC, INDOOR BASE OR MOBILE ALL BAND SCANNER ANTENNA, WITH BNC CONNECTOR - Scanner World - The Largest Dealer of Scanning Radios in the World

Any opinions and suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks in advance everyone !!

Tony M.
Harrison, NJ

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
That's probably a good choice. Here's mine on the back of my uniden bc 785d and bc 780.
MFJ - 1717 vhf/uhf/ 16" whip w/ bnc.
N9ZAS.

digitalanalog

I think i would go with a discone that is easy to assemble/disassemble
and mount it outside of the upper floor on a railing or whatever.

The antenna you listed really is no better then a stock back of set antenna.............

Just my opinion.
Jim

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
But keep in mind,he said range was not a priority but portability was.
How many motels or hotels would let you put a discone outside too?
Otherwise I would agree with that choice.
N9ZAS.

mondaro

Feed Provider
Yes, thats my issue here while I know I won't be able to place anything outside I am just looking for ideas for something inside. Every year I try something different this year I decided to ask the forum which I am sure people here know a hell of a lot more then I do when it comes to things like this. Thanks everyone for your valued input.

Tony

engine3

Premium Subscriber
when i go away, all i do is stick a mag mount antenna outside on the balcony somewhere
seems to pick up enough to keep me happy and isnt quite as noticeable as say a discone

SCPD

QRT
Well, you need to clarify something here. Do you want to drag a mobile antenna for use indoors? The stock BNC whip antenna will do just fine indoors - especially if you're up high. Keep it near the window and you'll see virtually no performance difference.

Now if you want to drag a larger antenna, then a discone antenna would be ideal - but they're not exactly small. You can do the mobile magnet mount solutions. You could also buy a scanner beam antenna.

Several solutions - the question is what are you willing to do for it.... :)

mrkelso

I own 2 of those ANT135's, I have them stuck to metal filing cabinets in the garage and they do a great job for me. They are picking up what the back of the set antenna could not in the county.

mondaro

Feed Provider
mrkelso...

Thanks, yes thats what I am looking for something I am stick just inside of the hotel window and get a little better reception while trying to pick up simplex portables a few blocks away. the base and Mobile units come in fine. I ordered an ANT35BNC today and will have a chance to test it out this weekend.

Thanks for the help and the tip.

Tony

rvictor

Here's a link to plans for a simple VHF/UHF J-pole antenna that you can make out of TV twin lead and hang from the drapery rod in your hotel room. If you use RG-174 for the feedline, it folds up to the size of an eyeglass case. If you do that, keep the feedline as short as possible to minimize feedline losses.

A J-Pole for 2-meters and 70-cm by dxzone.com

Dick

Anvil

Premium Subscriber
Indoor antenna

I picked up a suction cup window mount at a hamfest that I use with a few different handheld antennas in hotel rooms when I travel.
I use it at home with a RS 800MHz Scanner antenna and get full bars from the digital sites I use.

Valor BNCSCRS Suction Cup mount

PS: I think I paid about $8.00 so you might want want to do a little Google for a better price.

Status
Not open for further replies.