Ferrite bar repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

CLynch7

I've got an old Unisonic multiband radio that the ferrite bar has broken in half. Is there any way to repair it, say JB Weld? It isn't worth taking it out, getting a new one and re-winding the coils, but it would be nice to get it back to one piece. It's a decent radio, made in Japan in the 70's.

K

kb0nly

I doubt JB Weld would adhere to the ferrite rod. You might try something like a two part epoxy that comes in the double syringe and has a mixing nozzle that you put on it. I've used that 60 second variety from Wal-Mart to repair a lot of stuff that normal glues wouldn't hold. The only problem here is how it will affect the coil after repair, you would have to try it and find out!

For the record i hat JB Weld.. I don't know why anyone likes that stuff, if you have perfect lab like conditions you might be able to get it to stick to something, but most of the time i find it just builds on the surface and won't stick.

CLynch7

Well, the JB Weld worked, believe it or not. I had to make a band to put around the break, used aluminum foil. Tiny dab on the bar, and then some around the inside of the band.
Does the radio work any better now? Not really, but at least it doesn't rattle anymore.

kb0nly- I've found that spreading it on in thin layers like paint is the only way it works. But other than that, yeah, you'll need perfect conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.