Antenna Upgrade for a Noob

Status
Not open for further replies.

skierp20

Premium Subscriber
Hello, everyone. This is my first of what will (hopefully) be many posts to this great site. While I am not new to scanning, I am new to certain ways with which I want to improve the quality of what I am able to receive. I think though I should first explain just a few things:

1. I am NOT handy with tools, I am a computer/technical geek.
2. I do not have the balance and/or coordination to climb a ladder to mount an antenna to my house.
3. What I DO have is a hefty fear of heights.
4. As a result of the above factors, I have no intentions of hanging/mounting/drilling anything into my house.

That being said :) I'm looking to upgrade the antenna on my BCT15 from its standard back-of-the-set Antenna. From everything I am reading, I am leaning towards the Scanmaster Desktop Diapole.

My question to the community is this: Will this product be worth my investment, or should I be looking in a different direction?

I look forward to all of your feedback and knowledge!

Thanks,

Scott

Sinister

Premium Subscriber
Hi Scott,
Welcome to the forums.
What frequencies do you plan on listening too and how far is it from your location?
There are companies that would install an antenna for you if thats an option for you.

skierp20

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the welcome! This has been an amateur hobby of mine for YEARS. I remember being 15, and getting my start in EMS as a cadet and sorting through a box of Crystals for local fequencies!

But I digress...

I am looking to cover the local area, about 20 miles or so, and maybe increase my range a bit. We have a wide variety of frequencies in the area, ranging from lowband to 900 MHZ, trunked systems, conventionals, etc. It depends really if you want to listen to State PD or the vollie FD's. I'm one of those people that wants to be able to hear as much as I can. I'm actually looking to expand into some aviation stuff if I can pick up Bradley Airport, which I can, on occasion, with a lot of static.

Basically, my reception etc. is 'okay' as of right now. My setup is on my first floor in my office, and that is where its going to stay. I'm not going to be able to run an antenna into an attic or anything, and unfortunately, hiring someone in to mount the antenna for me really isnt an option either.

Yes, I know, I'm being difficult :) I'm just looking for my best choice to increase my range and reception with the limited capabilities that are afforded to me. I cannot, however, find the ScanMaster Desktop anywhere for sale on the web other than at one website which apparently is mostly inactive.

Any help you can offer me would be great.. any direciton you could point me in on a product to buy would be even better!

Take care, and thanks again!

Scott

fuzzymoto

Premium Subscriber
I've used a simple radioshack 20-176 indoors with good results.

Sinister

Premium Subscriber
Line of sight to the public safety branch is your key on what you will be able to listen to and how well you will hear it. You could mount an antenna on a tripode indoor like this one from NYRHKY94. Also check out the wiki for antennas there are some homebrews you could try out. If your going to try listening to the state police in your area you can try out the RS 800 Mhz duckie with a 90 degree BNC connector.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.