Specific Antenna for VX-7R

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redbird3

I have a Yaesu VX-7R that I use often. I am using the original antenna but would like to change to an upgraded antenna. Are there antennas available that will cover all the bands. I have the Yaesu FT8900 along with the specific antenna for this model.
Specific brands and model numbers would help in the replies.
Thanks
Jeffrey
KE7NJT

digitalanalog

You don't need a "specific" antenna for any radio.

You need an antenna based on what your trying to hear or whatever your wishes to hear are (same thing really).

As long as the antenna has the same connector as your VX-74 and it's designed for the band/bands your looking for, that's about all you really need to know.

Yes you can use a an adapter on any antenna, but you are better off getting an antenna with the correct type connector for your radio.

"No such thing as", the BEST ANTENNA FOR (enter any model of radio here)

Good luck on your purchase.

SCPD

QRT
In short, the included antenna is going to be the "best" for that specific radio. From my experience, a 3rd party antenna really isn't worth the upgrade.

However, if you must spend the money on a 3rd party antenna, then there are a couple of brands that make tri-band antennas:

Diamond

Diamond SRH-940 Amateur HT Antennas
Diamond SRH-999 Amateur HT Antennas

Maldol

Comet MH510, Maldol MH-510 Antenna
Maldol MH-511 TriBand HT Antenna
Maldol MH-610 TriBand HT Antenna

Note most of these antennas are very long.

The Maldol 511 model would be a nice (smaller) antenna for the VX series radios.

All of the antennas I listed above have SMA connectors too - so no adapters required.

prcguy

I had a VX-7 and now a VX-8 which uses the same antenna. I found the stock antenna works better than any comparable size replacement on 2m, 220, 440 and in many cases the same or better than some of the 16" long replacements.
prcguy

kb9hgi

Feed Provider
I have a VX-6R which has 2m, 220 & 440 and was going to mod it for 6 meters. Is there a place where you can buy the VX-7R antenna? I know it has 6m so thought I would try and locate one of those antenna's

prcguy

Contact Yaesu for the VX7/VX-8 antenna, its probably not cheap. The VX-6 will receive 220 and 6m but will not transmit there. You may get a little leakage out on 220 but not 6m.
prcguy

I have a VX-6R which has 2m, 220 & 440 and was going to mod it for 6 meters. Is there a place where you can buy the VX-7R antenna? I know it has 6m so thought I would try and locate one of those antenna's

kb9hgi

Feed Provider
If you mod the vx-6R it will tx on 6 meters just like the VX-7R will have the same bands to tx on.

prcguy

The VX-7R comes with 6m, 2m, 220 and 440, its designed for that. When you mod a VX-7R it extends the VHF and UHF bands a little to cover commercial frequencies on transmit but that's about it, the 6m and 220 bands do not get extended. Well, the VX-7 220 band may get extended to the original old 220 limits but I sold mine and can't verify that.

Most mods for ham radios will extend the VHF and UHF bands to cover most or all of the 136-174 and 406-512MHz range. The VX-7R goes a bit lower into the VHF aircraft band but it doesn't transmit AM mode there.

A VX-6 is not designed to transmit on 6m or 220 and there would be no tx bandpass filters for these bands. The TX light may come on but that doesn't mean there is useable RF comming out.

Why would Yaesu sell you a 4 band radio disguised as a two band radio, especially when they have two other models that cover the 4 bands?
prcguy

If you mod the vx-6R it will tx on 6 meters just like the VX-7R will have the same bands to tx on.

kb9hgi

Feed Provider
The VX-7R comes with 6m, 2m, 220 and 440, its designed for that. When you mod a VX-7R it extends the VHF and UHF bands a little to cover commercial frequencies on transmit but that's about it, the 6m and 220 bands do not get extended. Well, the VX-7 220 band may get extended to the original old 220 limits but I sold mine and can't verify that.

Most mods for ham radios will extend the VHF and UHF bands to cover most or all of the 136-174 and 406-512MHz range. The VX-7R goes a bit lower into the VHF aircraft band but it doesn't transmit AM mode there.

A VX-6 is not designed to transmit on 6m or 220 and there would be no tx bandpass filters for these bands. The TX light may come on but that doesn't mean there is useable RF comming out.

Why would Yaesu sell you a 4 band radio disguised as a two band radio, especially when they have two other models that cover the 4 bands?
prcguy

Why does anyone keep making radios? Make more money! The 7R and 8R came out later ok tell me why did they make a 6R when they already had a 5R that did the same thing. I have talked to guys that has done the mod on the VX-6R and it does tx on 6 meters after they did the mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.