Fixed base or mobile???

Status
Not open for further replies.

vzfarms

I have a question about whether or not I would have a base or a mobile
The antenna would be mounted on the roof of a mobile office trailer or on the side of the mobile office trailer so what would that be considered? It is actually a modular office space (construction type) trailer, that the wheels can be removed on.
It is under a commercial license.

SCPD

QRT
I could be wrong but I thought Mobile referred to a radio signal that was constantly on the move. I'm assuming your office would be stationary for weeks (or days) at a time, so I would say fixed base.

vzfarms

Yeah thats what I was thinking but there would be no feasible way to license a base that could be moved at any time so thats what gets me.

n5ims

Your best (read safest) would be to ask your business' legal counsel or consultant that handles your communications needs (who did the work to obtain your business' license). Answers here while provided with the best intentions, wouldn't be based on your specific situation (license restrictions, area of coverage, etc.).

While the answers provided may be based upon known facts, FCC regulations, or experience it will be your business that would be in violation if the answers don't match your specific license.

digitalanalog

It's unclear what your asking.............

Antenna on a mobile office trailer?????????

If the antenna stay's on the Mobile Office trailer it's base/fixed.
The type of antenna makes no difference, it's type of mounting makes the difference
but mostly just a matter of how well it works according to how it's been mounted.

A Mobile antenna is something you make reference to when it's mounted on a vehicle.
You can mount a 12 element yagi on your roof and call it a mobile antenna.

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

What is your actual question?????????????????

I have a question about whether or not I would have a base or a mobile
The antenna would be mounted on the roof of a mobile office trailer or on the side of the mobile office trailer so what would that be considered? It is actually a modular office space (construction type) trailer, that the wheels can be removed on.
It is under a commercial license.

vzfarms

Your best (read safest) would be to ask your business' legal counsel or consultant that handles your communications needs (who did the work to obtain your business' license). Answers here while provided with the best intentions, wouldn't be based on your specific situation (license restrictions, area of coverage, etc.).

While the answers provided may be based upon known facts, FCC regulations, or experience it will be your business that would be in violation if the answers don't match your specific license.

I am the owner and I got the license. I have 3 bases licensed and a 40km radius and 100 mobiles on my license if it helps anyone.

vzfarms

It's unclear what your asking.............

Antenna on a mobile office trailer?????????

If the antenna stay's on the Mobile Office trailer it's base/fixed.
The type of antenna makes no difference, it's type of mounting makes the difference
but mostly just a matter of how well it works according to how it's been mounted.

A Mobile antenna is something you make reference to when it's mounted on a vehicle.
You can mount a 12 element yagi on your roof and call it a mobile antenna.

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

What is your actual question?????????????????

I guess what Im getting at is the trailer sits in one position for weeks or months at a time, but is totally capable of being moved. I would like to use a 3db gain omni vhf no ground antenna mounted to the roof.

digitalanalog

Again, what is your question?

Is it that since you have a license for 3 bases radios, can a mobile antenna stuck/mounted on the roof be considered a Base set-up?
The answer is Yes.

Can it be considered a Mobile setup No.

Mobile set-ups are Mobile.Mounted in a Vehicle of some type.

vzfarms

ok well thanks for the answers I will have to figure out what I am going to do about this issue now...

N

N_Jay

I believe that is a fixed base, but probably a lawyer should answer.

rvictor

This seems like an issue which has come up before. I'd give the FCC a call and see if they can answer your question. If not, then an attorney is appropriate.

Dick

n5ims

I have seen some licenses in the FCC database (sorry, but none popped up with a quick scan just now) that indicate a fixed base with a location of something like "in various locations within 40 km of location 1". These have been for companies that do construction and other tasks that have need a semi-perminant office for the duration of a project (for example).

Status
Not open for further replies.