Mounting an antenna to a PVC vent pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonziBuddy

I bought the radioshack outdoor scanner antenna and I want to mount it to the vent pipe on top of my house. I can't seem to find a CHEAP cable to run to the roof. I've found a couple of PL-259 coax cables but they were PL259 on both ends and I would have to crimp a BNC connector to one side.
Where can I find the right length cable that has PL-259 female to a BNC male? Right now I have the antenna temporarily set up in my living room, and I had to cut and crimp a PL-259 connector. Why can't I find this cable online or in stores?

Also these cables are like 100 dollars. Are there any cheaper ones?

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
You could get a PL259 to BNC adapter at rat shack. Then you can make your own cable as long or short as you want it. If your handy with a soldering iron I always prefer to solder the connectors but a quality crimped connection will work good just as good.

PVC vent pipes are a bit weak for mounting antennae but the rat shack antennae are not very heavy so it could work, use common sense. I have metal vent pipes on my roof and I use them for small lightweight antenna testing.

BonziBuddy

I probably need 100 feet of cable to run this to the roof. I've searched the forums but I'm still not satisfied. What kind of cable should I use and where can I buy it? Right now I'm using 25 feet of radioshack RJ58, with the antenna set up indoors. I would like to buy the cable crimped and ready to go, and I've searched the internet and I'm still unsure of where to buy.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Like the above poster said,but also DON'T buy cheap coaxial cable because after all,that's how your signals find their way to your antenna! If you're on a budget then visit wal mart in electronics they have 50' of "quad shield" RG6 coaxial for less than $20. Much cheaper than radio crack is going soak you for! This cable is for DTV and CATV but it's designed for vhf/uhf frequencies with minimal loss.
N9ZAS.

SCPD

QRT
I probably need 100 feet of cable to run this to the roof. I've searched the forums but I'm still not satisfied. What kind of cable should I use and where can I buy it? Right now I'm using 25 feet of radioshack RJ58, with the antenna set up indoors. I would like to buy the cable crimped and ready to go, and I've searched the internet and I'm still unsure of where to buy.

Short answer - no. You can get RG-58 (50ft x 2) and buy a female-female and a female to BNC MALE adapter for about $60. However, the higher the frequency the more loss you'll have at your length of 100ft.

If you're going to pay $100 anyway, I would buy a custom cable using ANDREW CNT400 (LMR400) which will give you the same loss performance as RG8 (if not better.) You can order this with a PL-259 and a BNC MALE. It's .88/foot plus cost of connectors and shipping.

Coax Cable assemblies |RF 50 OHM| RFID Cables | Custom coax assemblies

N

N_Jay

1) vent pipes are typically not strong enough for a proper antenna mount.
2) vent pipes are often not secured well enough to prevent movement if used as a mount and you may end up with a roof leak.
3) Antenna's must be properly grounded (at least according to NEC)

Now all of you can start the normal bashing of this information.

Carry on.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
1) vent pipes are typically not strong enough for a proper antenna mount.
2) vent pipes are often not secured well enough to prevent movement if used as a mount and you may end up with a roof leak.
3) Antenna's must be properly grounded (at least according to NEC)

Now all of you can start the normal bashing of this information.

Carry on.

I'm not bashing. I'm agreeing! All of the above being very true.
N9ZAS.

BonziBuddy

If you're going to pay $100 anyway, I would buy a custom cable using ANDREW CNT400 (LMR400) which will give you the same loss performance as RG8 (if not better.) You can order this with a PL-259 and a BNC MALE. It's .88/foot plus cost of connectors and shipping.

Coax Cable assemblies |RF 50 OHM| RFID Cables | Custom coax assemblies

Thanks exactly the suggestion I was looking for. I ordered 100 feet of ANDREW® CNT400 with PL259 to BNC Male. Came to just $71.75

Status
Not open for further replies.