antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

bendebuhr

ok so heres the deal. i have a uniden base scanner. it ran me aroud 200 dollars, so its a pretty decent one. i live in the upstairs level of my house, and have a cb antenna with a magnetic mount that is on my air conditioning unit outside my window. (ghetto, i know.) for some reason, i can not pick up the ambulance to hospital communications (MERCI for those of you who know), at all. all i can hear is the hospital. however my girlfriends dad who lives way out of town picks up the ambulance just fine. i need a suggestion as to buying a better antenna, and if i should mount it in a diffrent place. any advice is great!

Astrak

Well yeah, a different antenna would be ideal, something tuned for the VHF public safety band. An AC is probably not an ideal location for an antenna to be mounted.

engine3

Premium Subscriber
try picking yourself up a magnet mount scanner antenna and put that where your cb antenna is and i,m willing to bet you see a differance in reception

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
A good all band scanner antenna would be the first change,but if you don't have a higher place to mount it then your a/c unit is not bad since it provides a good ground plane surface! A 2nd floor a/c would be slightly better too.
N9ZAS.

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
With the CB antenna it's only tuned for that band though it will pick up Low band signals great. To listen to higher bands (150, 400 and 800 ect.) I would recommend purchasing one of those Radio Shack mag mount antennas. They work great!! I have one that I use and use the old tin sheet under it for a ground plane and I pick up almost everything. Spend the $20-30 bucks for it, its worth it for a quick easy fix. Also like everyone else said, find a different place for the antenna rather than the AC you'll get too much electrical interference.

Status
Not open for further replies.