antenna question

Status
Not open for further replies.

frank125

thinking of getting the magnet mount antenna for roof of car for my 500. does this really increase the distance to where you can hear. this is the rat shack anteena, just curious how much futher this will recieve if any over stock anteena , thanks

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The stock antenna is very much a compromise - in fact, it's likely lossy at many frequencies, and not much better than a wet noodle. In addition, you must consider the attenuation of being surrounded by metal inside a vehicle.

You didn't say anything about what freqs you are interested in hearing, so it's not possible to say for sure whether the RS magmount will work well - however, there are MANY other alternatives in our scanner antennas wiki, and there has been some discussion just recently about yet another mobile antenna (similar to the PMM4B Valor model, or so it says) that supposedly works well.

Don't just read the new posts, Frank. Sometimes checking the old posts will give you lots more information 73 Mike

CanWoodsman

I just got a Watson WSM 1900 & the difference is amazing.
Channels that were breaking up are now clear but I'm now receiving other channels I never received before some of which some are choppy.

Rick

frank125

anteena help

The stock antenna is very much a compromise - in fact, it's likely lossy at many frequencies, and not much better than a wet noodle. In addition, you must consider the attenuation of being surrounded by metal inside a vehicle.

You didn't say anything about what freqs you are interested in hearing, so it's not possible to say for sure whether the RS magmount will work well - however, there are MANY other alternatives in our scanner antennas wiki, and there has been some discussion just recently about yet another mobile antenna (similar to the PMM4B Valor model, or so it says) that supposedly works well.

Don't just read the new posts, Frank. Sometimes checking the old posts will give you lots more information 73 Mike
i will be listening to mostly all digital talkgroups thanks

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
That tells us nothing, Frank, since digital trunk systems could possibly be in the UHF or 800 mhz band (I think I've seen a couple of systems - South Dakota comes to mind - that are in the VHF range...). More specifics needed 73 Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.