Antenna signal amplifier/booster

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently have the Pro-164 in my car connected to the RS mag mount 25-1300Mhz antenna. Is there an amplifier/signal booster that I can use to get a clearer signal?

Some signal don't come in as clear so since I have a signal amplfier for my home antenna (for the TV), I'm sure there might be one for scanners. Any help appreciated.

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
Amplifier Sources

Ramsey electronics sells both a well regarded kit and prebuilt amp. There are also many scanner amps on ebay, though I can't vouch for them.

With that said, odds are, an amplifier won't do much to help your reception and may even worsen it. You don't say if there is a certain frequency band of interest ie (VHF-hi, uhf, uhf-T or 800mhz for example). If there is a certain band you want to emphasize in your receiving, buying and antenna specifically for that band or a multi band antenna is usually a much more effective solution, then trying to run a signal amp.

Jean B.

In my Pro 164 I have 1 bank for local PD and FD in the 150 to 490 MHz, the Mass state police 800Trunking, UHF/VHF Aviation. I'm mostly interested in the 800MHz range since I'm often on the highways and tune in to the State Police.

My antenna is pretty generic. I also have the RS telescopic antenna but I need something outside the car.Maybe I should have a magnet mount antenna specific for 800MHz range.

I was looking at this one :

800 MHz Mobile scanner Antenna BNC mini mag 7" Uniden - eBay (item 350212417221 end time Aug-09-09 15:20:47 PDT)

Last edited:

rvictor

You mention that you have a RS mag mount and then in a later post say that you should get something outside the car. If you aren't running the mag mount outside the car, you should definitely do that before getting into the amp issue. You may find that an amp isn't needed with the proper antenna placed properly outside the car.

Dick

khoelldobler

Premium Subscriber
now residing in Ocala, Florida since 1999
Years ago, I had a mobile scanner in my car, and RS was selling a pretty good all band scanner antenna. I havent seen that exact antenna at RS for many years. I guess they no longer carry it, but it worked great, so great, that I had bought myself a second one for the work van that I was driving at that time. I do not know how well the current RS mag-mount scanner antennas are made, and I have no clue how good the reception is on one of them, but I do have experience with band specific mobile mounted antennas. I currently own a retired police cruiser, and instead of leaving the plastic dummy caps on the antenna holes on the trunk and the roof, I have opted to re-install band specific antennas using the NMO style mounts. These are the original mounts that once passed thru the drilled out holes, and they support the installation of NMO style antenna bases. I have reconfigured all antennas using the NMO mounts, but I'm getting off the subject... your best bet might be to purchase a good quality, name brand antenna for your mobile application... a Motorola, Antenex, Tram, Larson, or Laird manufactured, band specific antenna, mounted on a magnetic base might bring you some results worth smiling about. They are available, in most cases, to come as mag-mounted antennas, and they are usually very good quality, and look professional. I trusted in buying some of these manufacturers antennas (w/ NMO option mounts in my case) from ebay. They even carry the Motorola 800Mhz police style antenna, which I might add brings in crystal clear reception of local 800 trunked systems. These antennas were purposly designed to work correctly, and I don't think they would let you down, unless your trying to monitor a signal that is just too far away to begin with, because that could give you poor reception right from the start. A roof mounted antenna might give you better results that a trunk mounted antenna, short distance coax is usually the rule of thumb, and good connectors all play a role in reception, while trying to minimize connector adapters. I have nothing but great results from the ebay purchases I have made, each mfr's antenna was built with quality in mind... they are usually commercial overstock or left overs from the previous years manufacture as new antenna models are invented, but they can be purchased at a great price.

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
Go with the 800 antenna

Based on my experience with consumer grade scanners, they are significantly less sensitive on 800. So, I'd got with an 800 externally mounted antenna (and that's what I've done in the past). I was surprised how well it worked on other bands as well.

JB

Status
Not open for further replies.