Daiwa Cross Needle Meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC0CSE

Im sure this has been ask before...how do you read a cross needle meter?....if your radio is 40 watt rated do you switch to 200 watts....and if your radio is rated 25watt do switch to 20watts?....and on the selector do you go to AVG or PEP?.....Not sure what this means...thank very much...

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I have a Daiwa CN-103L Which is a cross needle meter which is good from 140- 525mhz. My main uhf radio transmits 40-45 watts and I leave the switch on the 200 watt scale. On the 20 watt scale it will simply "pin out". The switch that reads AVG/PEP is for reading average rf output,and peak envelope power in single sideband mode or if you want slower movements from the meter. The two small holes on the base of the meter will "zero out" the needles for a more accurate reading,FYI.
I hope this helps,and enjoy!
N9ZAS.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
I also have the Diawa CN-103L meter. One needle reads forward power, the other reads reflected power. The SWR range is in the center and where the two cross needles meet while transmitting is your indicated swr.

mlconnell

I also have the Diawa CN-103L meter. One needle reads forward power, the other reads reflected power. The SWR range is in the center and where the two cross needles meet while transmitting is your indicated swr.

I dont know why I try to cpmplicate things however My CL-103 on the 440 Band and I'm set at high power and the switch on the swr is at 200 since my high power is 35, higher than 20. OKay my forward power is: 30 Watts while my reflected power is: 0.8 - Here's where the confusion come in. Do I know go to the right meter and look up that needle where it looks like it's crossing at the 1.7 or do I assume right where my needle is crossing is right above the W in "SWR" in the center of the meter. If I look straight up my needle says SWR of 4. I don't know why this is confusing me. I almost need to see a picture with an explanation.

gewecke

Banned
Read each meter separately,not at the point where they cross paths. The idea is to read both measurements in a single glance.
n9zas

mlconnell

Read each meter separately,not at the point where they cross paths. The idea is to read both measurements in a single glance.
n9zas

Got it !! I was thinking that made the most sense cause my forward power will not change much if my power stays the same. I appreciate the confirmation. Thanks so much...

Mike
KC5VVL

gewecke

Banned
Got it !! I was thinking that made the most sense cause my forward power will not change much if my power stays the same. I appreciate the confirmation. Thanks so much...

Mike
KC5VVL

Glad to help! :)
n9zas

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The advantage to cross-needle meters is that they provide three pieces of data in one reading.

In the case of a cross-needle power/SWR meter, you can read:

1. Forward power -- this is the RF power being delivered by your transmitter to the antenna system. Set the scale switch to the lowest setting that will result in the highest non-pegged reading on the meter. If your meter has a 20W/200W scale switch and your transmitter is putting out 10 watts, use the 20W scale--it it's putting out 30 watts, use the 200W scale. If you are transmitting in SSB mode, use the PEP setting. For all other modes (FM, AM, CW, etc.), use the AVG setting.

2. Reflected power -- this is the RF power being reflected back to your transmitter due to a lack of resonance in your antenna system at that frequency.

3. SWR -- The Standing Wave Ratio is a mathmatical function of the forward and reflected power. The meter designer has done the math for you by putting an SWR scale on the meter. These are the curved lines that are drawn on the meter face, usually in a different color, between the forward and reflected power scales. Find the point where your forward and reflected power meter needles cross. Look past that crossing point to the SWR scale on the meter face. If you are lucky, the crossing point will be directly above an SWR scale line. Follow that line to the SWR numbers to get your SWR reading. More often, that crossing point will not be directly above an SWR line so you have to figure out which SWR lines your crossing point is between and then interpolate between those two values.

mlconnell

Excellent... I was wondering why the Peak Envelope Power and Average Power and why you'd choose one or the other. I appreciate your feedback. I learn a little more every day.

gewecke

Banned
Excellent... I was wondering why the Peak Envelope Power and Average Power and why you'd choose one or the other. I appreciate your feedback. I learn a little more every day.

A word of caution when using your daiwa meter, the plastic insert which surrounds the sleeve in the center of the antenna in/out jacks are very easy to pull out when you remove your pl 259 on your cables. Make sure to pull straight out...not at an angle!
I've had to replace one so-239 connector already,and it wasn't fun.:(
n9zas

Status
Not open for further replies.