New Aerial

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebullet

I would like to buy a new aerial for my PSR-282 scanner as my homemade one cannot go in the loft anymore and the reception is that great.

I am looking at the the discone aerials, are they any good?

I cannot have any on the roof so my only bet is the desktop ones will these be any better than my homemade aerial now?

I have been looking at this one:
Desktop Discone Antenna : Scanner Accessories : Maplin

also this one: Desktop Radio Scanner Discone Antenna Aerial

and finally this one: Sky Scan Double Discone Desktop Scanner Antenna

Are these any good? or can you reccommend any better alternatives they do not have to be discone.

Thanks for the help.
Matthew.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Matthew putting an antenna indoors - any antenna - compromises its performance because of all the surrounding objects. How much depends on several factors, including the power of the transmitter, the frequency and how high the transmitting - and receiving- antenna actually is, among other things.

True discones are a very good choice because they are widebanded (like the ones you list). If you can get to your attic, that would be the next best choice due to the additional height. Being in the UK, I'm not sure what would be available to you from the US, given the customs, VAT and shipping charges would really make an antenna expensive. Looking at the Maplin website, I see something that's much more likely to be a better performer, assuming the attic is available to you...

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?moduleno=30297

This looks like a clone of the Icom AH7000 series, which is generally very well regarded. Same price as the other one, but you would have to supply the coax. It's not at all unheard of that other distributors clone designs like this; that should come as no big surprise.

73 Mike

Last edited:

thebullet

I am affraid the attic is not available to me but if it does i am sure I will buy that one. I have put my old homebrew antenna outside and it is performing much better but it is very awkward as i have to put it outside only when I want it as closing the window is difficult with the thick cable.

I am stuck haha.

scannersnstuff

don't do it ! . i got the skyscan desk top.the first one you have listed. the POS was outrageously expensive.as i recall about 10 or so year's ago it came to around $100.00 plus shipping from england.
the thing sucked royally. i ended up taking it apart and finding other uses for the different aerial piece's.

DPD1

Honestly, I would just get a cable and clip to use with a decent hand held antenna, then clip it in a spot that gets good reception. Anything that sits on a desk really isn't going to be much better than the antenna right on the radio. The whole thing with being indoors is getting a good spot somewhere. There's no special antenna design that's going to get around that. When indoors, the difference between getting something clear and not getting it at all can just be a 5' difference in placement. Where you start to see the real difference between antenna designs is when they're out in free space. Indoors just sort of neutralizes everything.

scannersnstuff

even sticking a mag mount to a cookie sheet or atop a fridge or file cabinet would do better.

thebullet

Honestly, I would just get a cable and clip to use with a decent hand held antenna, then clip it in a spot that gets good reception. Anything that sits on a desk really isn't going to be much better than the antenna right on the radio. The whole thing with being indoors is getting a good spot somewhere. There's no special antenna design that's going to get around that. When indoors, the difference between getting something clear and not getting it at all can just be a 5' difference in placement. Where you start to see the real difference between antenna designs is when they're out in free space. Indoors just sort of neutralizes everything.

Thank you for that, that was a really good explantion. As I say I am using my own aerial with a strip of wood with 2 copper rods going each way flat onto the the strip. Both connected by some chock strip connector. Then some cable with the coper wire in it connected to one part of the chock strip and then the thick bunch of wire around the flastic screwed into another part, then that leads to a BNC connector which attaches to my radio, I will take a photo of it later.

This is outside my window, although it is much better I still do not think I am getting the best out of it.

But yes much better than inside.

Does anyone know an even better homebrew aerial which is simple to make and uses parts which are easy to get hold of.

Thanks once again all..

majoco

Stirrer
Google this site for OCFD (Off Centre-Fed Dipole) previously known as a Windom antenna. Make one from the old TV "Rabbit's Ears" antenna - you may need a balun to convert to 75 ohms which will be close enough. For perfection you could adjust the lengths for the frequency in use, but mine works fine with 750mm one side and 250mm the other just ouside on the balcony. I use a G clamp to fix it to the rail.

Status
Not open for further replies.