Using exsisting AUTO radio antenna for monitoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

safetypro79

Scanning since 1967
Premium Subscriber
Anchorage-Alaska, Boise-Idaho, Salem-Oregon
Anyone using the Y connector for interconnecting coax between the AM/FM radio antenna and your scanner and exsisting AM/FM radio ?

Realizing the antenna length is important and whip AM/FM antennas are 20 in plus, this is great for VHF or maybe low band, but what about 460 and 700 mhz systems?

Maybe a better alternative than advertising a scanner in your vehicle?

Comments?

John
Boise, Idaho

Thayne

Might as well try it and see, unless it is a big hassle to get to the back of the radio.

For 700-800 it is pretty easy to conceal or disguise an antenna. (Cell look alike or unity gain 1/4 wave) and it works a lot better.

fineshot1

Anyone using the Y connector for interconnecting coax between the AM/FM radio antenna and your scanner and exsisting AM/FM radio ?

Realizing the antenna length is important and whip AM/FM antennas are 20 in plus, this is great for VHF or maybe low band, but what about 460 and 700 mhz systems?

Maybe a better alternative than advertising a scanner in your vehicle?

Comments?

John
Boise, Idaho

I tried this once using the correct impedance splitter device and the scanner rx'ed ok but the
AM/FM rx performance suffered terribly. I had to remove it and use a cellular type antenna
which worked ok due to how sensitive the scanner was.

safetypro79

Scanning since 1967
Premium Subscriber
Anchorage-Alaska, Boise-Idaho, Salem-Oregon
Have tried on-glass cell ant

For 700 mhz with poor rsults on my PRO-106, stock rubber duck works better on my local P25 system. So was thinking about the Y connector. Scanner world sells the AS splitter for $18 but it's cheaper to just go to the auto store and get the connector. You just need a adaptor motorola to BNC for connection.

John
Boise, Idaho

Status
Not open for further replies.