Discone & Digital TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thayne

Just for kicks I hooked the last port on a Stridsberg 4 port multicoupler fed with a RS discone that is about 30 ' high that I use for feeding 3 scanners, to a DTV converter. I figured it wouldn't be so hot because of the impedance mismatch and some concern that I was told TV is usually horizontally polarized.

Guess what, it works better than one of those Winegard amplified "flying saucer" antennas mounted about 4 feet below the discone. Channel 59 that the winegard cannot see comes in fine with the discone.

Just thought I would throw that out there if anyone has a discone laying around or already up to give it a try instead of buying a TV-only antenna. I even found a BNC male to F female adapter that made the connection easy---

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Well... how about that. Maybe discones aren't so bad after all, and maybe crappy preamps really CAN harm reception more than they help.

Thayne

Well... how about that. Maybe discones aren't so bad after all, and maybe crappy preamps really CAN harm reception more than they help.

The Only thing I like about Discones is they are so wide freq wise, but now I will take the flying saucer down, both of them being so close together are too hamsexy for my roof---;)

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
One of the problems many people have with ATSC reception is not signal strength - it is multipath. To "solve" their multpath problems people use directional antennas (and often point them away from the desired signal source).

The thing about a discone is that it is omnidirectional. Now if you are in a wide open area, I can see it might work pretty good. But if you are surrounded by moutains, tall buildings or other structures; then I think the multipath be too much for ATSC.

Thayne

One of the problems many people have with ATSC reception is not signal strength - it is multipath. To "solve" their multpath problems people use directional antennas (and often point them away from the desired signal source).

The thing about a discone is that it is omnidirectional. Now if you are in a wide open area, I can see it might work pretty good. But if you are surrounded by moutains, tall buildings or other structures; then I think the multipath be too much for ATSC.

Around here, about 2/3 of the stations are on lookout or squaw or Mt. Morrison, but a few are on a tower north of Denver, and a couple are south, but it is at least 20-30 miles in any direction for me so maybe that helps. It sure works better than the "Flying saucer" though. I don't see how it is big enough physically to work on the low channels but they are the ones on the mountain.

Status
Not open for further replies.