nmo mount

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
I bought a new car the other day (took advantage of the CARS) and now I am faced with mounting one or two antennae to the car (2010 Outback).

My preference is a lip mount (I don't like holes in the roof), but the way the hatch opens, this is not practicable. The hatch lip goes inside the body. :(

So here is the question. Is there a right and NMO (I have a couple of NMO antennae already that I really like) so I can put a lip mount on the side of the hatch (still may no work) and have the antenna then point up rather than out.

I may wind up using a mag mount at the back of the car (less cable running across the roof), but would prefer to use the lip mounts if at all possible.

I've done a couple Google searches and found a couple of 'possible' mounts one is the ANT-DIAMK400SNMO and the other is the CP-5NMO. None of the pictures really show them in a good light (maybe there's a message there). Anyway, I'm open for advice on this one.

Many thanks.

lebrunmn

Retired... Get off my lawn!
Premium Subscriber
Here's an idea... maybe.

Let me preface by saying that I have a 2002 Outback, but I also ran into the problem of the top of the hatchlid going into the body of the car, so it was no-go on that position to mount my antenna. I "settled" for the lower side mount for my antenna--a place I absolutely thought would be the worst location--and have been pleasantly surprised with the results. I have been able to pull in 39 Mhz state patrol car comms from several miles away with this set-up. Good luck, and best regards,

Attachments

• Larsen 150-450-800 NMO.jpg
    Larsen 150-450-800 NMO.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 2,618

bejohnson

I bought a new car the other day (took advantage of the CARS) and now I am faced with mounting one or two antennae to the car (2010 Outback).

My preference is a lip mount (I don't like holes in the roof), but the way the hatch opens, this is not practicable. The hatch lip goes inside the body. :(

So here is the question. Is there a right and NMO (I have a couple of NMO antennae already that I really like) so I can put a lip mount on the side of the hatch (still may no work) and have the antenna then point up rather than out.

I may wind up using a mag mount at the back of the car (less cable running across the roof), but would prefer to use the lip mounts if at all possible.

I've done a couple Google searches and found a couple of 'possible' mounts one is the ANT-DIAMK400SNMO and the other is the CP-5NMO. None of the pictures really show them in a good light (maybe there's a message there). Anyway, I'm open for advice on this one.

Many thanks.

Bite the bullet and put a hole in the roof. The performance will be the best possible and the pain of drilling the hole only hurts for a moment. :D I have three NMO mounts in the top of my Mercury Grand Marquis, two permanently assigned and one for temporary uses.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Let me preface by saying that I have a 2002 Outback, but I also ran into the problem of the top of the hatchlid going into the body of the car, so it was no-go on that position to mount my antenna. I "settled" for the lower side mount for my antenna--a place I absolutely thought would be the worst location--and have been pleasantly surprised with the results. I have been able to pull in 39 Mhz state patrol car comms from several miles away with this set-up. Good luck, and best regards,

Mark,

That looks like a solution so next question. What mount are you using and where did you get it.

lebrunmn

Retired... Get off my lawn!
Premium Subscriber
Lynn-

I used a Diamond K400CNMO mount from Ham Radio Outlet--it wasn't cheap--I think I paid around $70 dollars for it. But it sets up really easily, and as you can see, adjusts on two axis, so you can set the antenna pointing up. I think the only difference between the Diamond mount you mentioned in your original post is how the coax terminates.

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
Just make sure you waterproof the coax to nmo connection. Easy to get rain in there and corrode the connections.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Just make sure you waterproof the coax to nmo connection. Easy to get rain in there and corrode the connections.
Way too many years on the flight line, so I had thought of that. But I do appreciate the reminder.

Looks like I'll be doing a road trip to Woodbridge tomorrow. Make a stop at HRO and pick up a few things.

I know, I can order on line, but I want to see how the new car does on the highway. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.