antenna suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

shott8283

im putting my radioshack pro-2051 in my truck (eventually going tp upgrade to another pro163) its trunking a motorola 800mhz type 2 system.. everything is programmed good and is picking up good transmissions in the house.. i am wondering what antenna and mount would best for my truck.

i may also be putting in some conventional freqs for out mutual aid districts that run on a lowband system aswell.. not sure if that would matter or now.

fineshot1

low band and 800 is gonna be hard to find a single antenna that does well on both as
they are about at both ends of the average usable scanner spectrum.

you may need to experiment with some models but i would start with the larsen triband
150/450/800. i don't think it will do well on low band but if your close enough you will hear
what you want.

DickH

bump if anyone has any suggestions

Since a 1/4 wave antenna for 800MHz is 3-1/4" and about 81" for low band (33MHz), I suggest you get a separate scanner for the low band. Any old, non-trunking scanner will do.
Put a good 800MHz antenna on the roof and you could even get an adapter that lets you run the low band from your car radio antenna.

shott8283

im not hell bent on the conventional freq picking up.. as im only using it to hear tones.. i can pick up dispatch on my 800 trunk which is what im monitoring 99% of the time.. i would prefer a glass mount cell phone look alike model .. little more low profile..

i like the style of that trunk antenna model but it will be on a truck which nothing can be mounted on the roof (gotta pull it into the garage in the winter time to hook up) thats why im really looking towards the window mount and then maybe a standard antenna mounted to the corner of the box (like the cb whips) if i still need to pick up the conventional (and maybe other counties that are on lowband)

Status
Not open for further replies.