attic install help

Status
Not open for further replies.

fpo701

OH DB Admin
Database Admin
Hey all!

I've been listening to scanners for decades. One thing I've never done is use a really good antenna. I have mostly portables. One of them sits right by my PC. I am seriously considering going with an attic antenna to get better reception on it. I'm looking at the Scantenna SC2.

I would like to mount it in my attic. Of course, I have a few questions. How do I mount it? Do I need to install a mast? If so, what does the mast (a glorified pipe) attach to in the attic?

I'm trying to see if this is a lot more work than it is worth.

Thanks,
Frank

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Frank, every attic is constructed differently, so methods of attachment will similarly vary. When I had a ST2 in my attic, I simply had a length of 2 inch diameter wood dowel, which I bolted to a nearby post using U bolts. Very effective, and since I was using wood, no worries about any accidental coupling to the mast.

Putting the antenna outside is a far and away better place for it, but if you have HOA Nazies, then the attic is the next best place. You may find (I did) that you will need to move it around a little to find the best sweet spot, but you can simplify that by using your handheld up in the attic to find it. Then mark that spot so you know where to put the antenna.

73 Mike

DELCOLHFC

As always, good advice from Mike. Also keep in mind that the ST-2 Scantenna is about 8 feet tall. You need a pretty roomy attic to mount one of these antennas correctly. The one section of my house that actually has an attic is only about 5' 6" so thats where the 20-176 sputnik lives, the ST-2 is at 35' off a garage mounted mast. In my opinion the ST-2 is the best bang for your buck in a wide band antenna.
Good luck

NYRHKY94

Hi Frank:

Take a look at this post which will show you a Scantenna and Yagi mounted in an attic. Like the other guys have stated, the ceiling height/roof line of your attic will determine whether or not you can fit the 8Ft' Scantenna up there.

http://forums.radioreference.com/727845-post1.html

If the ceiling height won't let you throw a Scantenna up there, a lot of us have had good experience with the RS "Sputnick", which can fit in just about any attic.

Outdoor VHF-Hi/UHF Scanner Antenna - RadioShack.com

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
I mounted a couple of yagi type antennae in the attic and a standard type verticle antenna. With the yagi's I hung them with string from some of the rafters and the verticle antenna I straped to another rafter with large zip ties. No need for fancy mounts in the attic, no wind and weather to worry about. Just use what ever it takes to hold the antenna in position.

fpo701

OH DB Admin
Database Admin
Thanks for all the help guys.

Here's my next piece to the puzzle. I had a cable run from my basement (cable drop) to where my PC was for my cable modem. I have since converted to a wireless router. Right now I have a coax outlet right where I want a scanner running off the attic antenna. More convenient is the fact that the cable run from the basement to the computer room takes the long way around via the attic.

I was thinking of just cutting the line in the attic and attaching the antenna there. So, I would be able to use the existing line to between the computer/scanner to the attic. Is that doable?

Next, I would run a coax between the outlet and the radio. One end of the cable would be a normal screw in coax connection to the outlet. The other would be BNC to the scanner. Is that OK?

Thanks,
Frank

dracer777

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (MOT-QA30/00.72 UP.Browser/7.2.7.5.610 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

i also have this same question. i plan on running close to 75 feet of coax to my attic from the basment. instead of starting a new thread, ill ask here: do we need a signal amplifier for that far or is just the coax ok?

fpo701

OH DB Admin
Database Admin
Bad News

I finally had time to climb up into the attic. The highest point is just over 7', if I push the insulation aside. Looks like the Scantenna SC-2 is not an option.

I want something with good covererage all over. I listen to something in almost every band from 33-800MHz.

What's my next choice? The SC4 (http://www.antennacraft.net/ScannerAnts.html)? RadioShack?

I have to admit some of the reviews of the RS discone concern me. Some reviewers report poorer reception than the $20 (20-283?).

Frank

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If you look in the scanner antennas wiki, you will find we've got more than a few links with possibilities. For example, the Diamond D130J (and Scanner Master appears to have a knock off), the PAR MON-3 and DPD Productions has its Omni-X. All of those would fit in your 7 foot attic with some room to spare. Float your mouse over Wiki in the toolbar under the Scanner Master ad, select Antennas. There's even a few links and tech reviews linked there.

Keep in mind that there's no such thing as an antenna that receives such a broad range of freqs equally well. It just isn't possible! A discone, for example, is weakest in the VHF lo range (unless it has a vertical element in it, like the D130J does). There will be some compromises to make, no matter how you slice it. Try to narrow your focus a little. 73 Mike

DPD1

Wirelessly posted (MOT-QA30/00.72 UP.Browser/7.2.7.5.610 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

i also have this same question. i plan on running close to 75 feet of coax to my attic from the basment. instead of starting a new thread, ill ask here: do we need a signal amplifier for that far or is just the coax ok?

No, you'd need to go a lot farther than that before any signal amplifier was a necessity. Just use an RG8 size cable. As long as the extra length is being used to go up and not just across, then you're going to be gaining. If you start doing stuff like running over 100' or more across the ground just to get to the place where it will go up, then it barely goes to a decent level... Then that's not so good.

TheJerk

I finally had time to climb up into the attic. The highest point is just over 7', if I push the insulation aside. Looks like the Scantenna SC-2 is not an option.

I want something with good covererage all over. I listen to something in almost every band from 33-800MHz.

What's my next choice? The SC4 (http://www.antennacraft.net/ScannerAnts.html)? RadioShack?

I have to admit some of the reviews of the RS discone concern me. Some reviewers report poorer reception than the $20 (20-283?).

Frank

I used a radio shack antenna similar to the ST-2 (purchased nearly 25 years ago...around 1985), and we mounted it horizontally...works just fine in our attic mounted that way.

I actually intend to buy an ST-2 and mount it in our attic...it will be temporary as I intend to move in a year.

msckee

Any advice on how to keep a hole through drywall for coax run to attic look clean?
I dont want to install a box like you do for an eletrical outlet.

thx

msc

Jim41

Any advice on how to keep a hole through drywall for coax run to attic look clean?
I dont want to install a box like you do for an eletrical outlet.

thx

msc

I route my attic antenna coax thru the ceiling of a closet. Usually put the hole near a corner of the closet. Then run the coax under the closet door and along the baseboard.

I use a small spade bit (just big enough for the coax or coax connector) to drill the hole in the drywall.

Jim41

ampulman

I route my attic antenna coax thru the ceiling of a closet. Usually put the hole near a corner of the closet. Then run the coax under the closet door and along the baseboard.

I was going to suggest exactly, that (what I did). The bedroom serves as my computer/radio room.

If/when I sell this place, a little spackle in the corner will go unnoticed.

Amp

Status
Not open for further replies.