Anyone Know what kind of antenna this is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rilke67

Premium Subscriber
This is the first one of this style I have seen...anyone know what it is for? This is mounted on the roof of a home in the area and is pointed directly toward the air base west of town.

Attachments

• P9030005.JPG
    P9030005.JPG
    7.9 KB · Views: 401

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Given its size and being a dish, my first thought is a microwave link of some kind - for what I have no clue.

73 Mike

bezking

Agreed - definitely some type of microwave point-to-point link... It's mounted on a residence? Interesting... Here in Nassau County NY they are installing them for the new TRS to communicate between Police HQ and repeater sites.

Dorf411

Definately Canopy by Motorola, but it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the Military. It can be used as an inexpensive point to point or it may be a wireless internet system.

KI4VBR

Premium Subscriber
PACS Access?

Definately Canopy by Motorola, but it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the Military. It can be used as an inexpensive point to point or it may be a wireless internet system.

In many areas, doctors are using wireless high speed network access over links like this to read medical images (PACS - picture archiving and communication systems ). These doctors work from their homes and read these images all day long and make a lot of money doing it. The faster the network link, the more images they can read and the more money they can make.

I was involved with something similar to this, but we were using tubular enclosed yagi antennas similar to point to point wifi gear. Believe it or not, the docs could get some great full-duplex bandwidth with these links.

Vince
KI4VBR

rilke67

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for all the inputs. fineshot1 - you nailed it. Those are the antenna in question. Maybe someone will be outside one time when I ride by and I can ask what they are using it for. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.