must have scanner antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone recommend a must have Scanner antenna, you know the one you upgraded or switched to that out performed the previous one and was worth the money. I am looking to pick up the fire ground portable transmissions a town or two away. They transmit on VHF and UHF not a lot of low band or 800 but it would be nice to hear them as well. I have LMR400 cable but am limited to one antenna on the side of my chimney. I purchased a high end Discone antenna over the summer and it is not working as well as I had hoped from Scanmaster. I was looking at the OmniX Multi Band Scanner antenna, the Diamond DJ-130 or the Comet GP-15 can someone please help me make this decision

hoser147

It will be tough to pick up portable fireground transmissions a town or two away, being that for the most part you are outside the range of the portables unless they are ran thru a repeater. You may have better luck with a Yagi pointed in the direction that you want to receive.

FLRAILMAN

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Must have scanner antenna

In my opinion the DPD Omni-X is an excellent choice as is the Austin Ferret. I'm not that familiar with the Comet GP-15 or the Diamond D-130J, I'd stay away from discones as you've already found out. Here are some eham reviews on all the above antennas except the DPD Omni-X.

eHam.net Reviews
Click on: "Antennas: VHF/UHF Omnidirectional (Verticals, etc.)" then scroll down to the antennas of interest.

These are the websites for the Omni-X & the Ferret.

www.dpdproductions.com/index.html

www.austinantenna.net/scanner.htm

I see that you utilized LMR400 which is a very good low loss coax cable, that with an N connector would work just fine with both the Omni-X or the Ferret as they both utilize N connectors which are far superior to F, BNC & SO-239 connectors. Do your homework, then choose wisely.

FLRAILMAN

Last edited:
I did not mention the Austin Ferret because the reviews have not been good in this forum and most seem to think it is over priced. Do you have the ferret

As far as a Yagi it will be two directional. Unfortunately I was hoping to hear the 8 towns around mine that I would go mutual aid to. And also a couple of the larger city’s within 20 – 30 miles. I mentioned the portables but then I realized that they are so low powered it maybe imposible.

prcguy

I would recommend a Comet GP-9 commercial version. These are 17ft long and centered around 155MHz and 465MHZ. Gain is less than advertised but probably a good 4 or 5dB above a Discone on VHF and 7 to 8db on UHF. I have a used one I would sell cheap but I don't want to ship, local pickup near LA, CA.
prcguy

hoser147

As far as a Yagi it will be two directional. Unfortunately I was hoping to hear the 8 towns around mine that I would go mutual aid to. And also a couple of the larger city’s within 20 – 30 miles. I mentioned the portables but then I realized that they are so low powered it maybe imposible.

At that distance with good terrain, anyone of the antenna's you mentioned in your first post along with some good coax should do the trick for you..

brandon

Database Admin
I use a Comet GP-6NC and Comet GP-9NCA and they both work great!
In my experience these perform much better compared to the Scantenna, Diamond D130N, Nil-Jon and Par MON-3 on VHF/UHF.

For 800 MHz they are deaf as you would expect. Luckily I am close enough to the sites so it doesn't matter too much.

Thanks for the reply but at 17' as good as it sounds I will have to pass my wife would kill me

They actually look a lot better and less noticeable than a Scanenna or Discone.

mikebennett

Premium Subscriber
I did not mention the Austin Ferret because the reviews have not been good in this forum and most seem to think it is over priced. Do you have the ferret

I bought one of these to use at work. It receives on VHF-Hi okay but that's about it. Everthing else is pretty flat. I wouldn't recommend it.

Mike

kc2rgw

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the reply but at 17' as good as it sounds I will have to pass my wife would kill me

It sounds like it would be easy to see...but really my 17' Diamond X510 is one of my least visible antennas. They are white and vertical so they really blend in pretty well believe it or not. Driving by, you wouldn't even notice it, unless you were specifically looking for it.

Height above terrain is more important than even the antenna for hearing simplex on handhelds. Put some thought into the commitment for some serious height....no antenna made will help you if you are out of line of sight, basic physics. If you are worried about the appearance, you likely won't get the performance you are looking for.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
X2 for the diamond X510 and the comet GP antennas. Much better than the scanner antennas by far. And like mentioned already, get it as high as possible.

prcguy

On the VHF and UHF public service bands, yes. I don't have an Omni-X but it looks like it would have no more gain than a 1/2 wave dipole on the few bands where it has resonant elements. The Comet has about half the gain as advertised compared to a dipole but probably at least 3dBd on VHF and 4 to 5dBd on UHF.
prcguy

Do you think the Comet GP-6NC will out perform the Omni-X

So would it be safe to say the Omni -X would not be a bad choice and will perform much better then even the most expensive discone.

I am leaning towards the Omni –X. I wound some additional treads and had good things to say, its size and frequency coverage are also appealing.

Unless someone has any other strong recommendations or opinions against this antenna I hope to purchase in the next few weeks.

Tryton

I dont mean to hi-jack the thread, but does anyone know how the scantenna is for 800 band as well as air? thx :)

fireman_dude

Premium Subscriber
Hi, the Antenna Craft ST2 is a good antenna Antennacraft ST2 Scanner Antenna, Antenna Craft ST-2

I agree with qc. The ST-2 is a very good antenna, however be very careful with this one. I had owned 3 of these over the past several years when I was living at my old house. This antenna has a weakness (breaking point) and it's located right where the antenna is hinged (where the elements unfold and lock) High winds causes the plastic hinges to weaken and eventually crack. I would recommend strengthening this area with either a hose clamp around it or heavy duty wires tie straps.

Status
Not open for further replies.