RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Topic Specific Forums > Antennas and Associated Hardware > Scanner / Receiver Antennas

Scanner / Receiver Antennas For discussion of any type of receiving antenna used by a scanner or receiver base, mobile or handheld.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-20-2010, 8:24 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Antenna Spacing

I have a question. I have a VHF mobile antenna NMO mount on the truck. I recently added an 800 MHZ Magnetic Mounted Antenna To Use With My OEM State Radio...I have them right next to one another. Can anyone tell me if there is an exact spacing they need to be apart without interferring with one another? As of now the 800 is in front of the VHF and is like 6 inches from it. Is there a space apart they should be? Can anyone tell me?
Sponsored links
Old 08-20-2010, 9:00 PM

a foot apart is a good safe distance, of course the further the better.
Old 08-20-2010, 9:08 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgcet View Post
a foot apart is a good safe distance, of course the further the better.
I've only got so much room on top of a single cab pickup.. lol But I will move the other farther apart, That is what I wanted to know.. I'll take care of that asap. Thanks davidgcet... Appreciate That..
I got a foot, When I hit a foot and a half it started slanting and wouldn't set straight. But A foot is better than the 4 inches they were before. We'll try this.. thanks again!

Last edited by btritch; 08-20-2010 at 9:20 PM..
Old 08-21-2010, 12:39 PM

For RX only antennas, what would anyone recommend for spacing between. I want to set up my 2M/70cm J-pole as far away as possible from my RX only, I know that much, but I have a 2M/70cm, CB, marine whips which are on RX only radios, plus plan to put something up for air, milair, satcom and something for 700-900 MHz. Essentially I would run all of these to some sort of switching box to make it easy for me to select the proper antenna for the band. I'm looking for suggestions on some proper spacing so they don't interfere whit one another. My mast will be approx. 25 ft in height once all is said and done. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:45 PM

as far as RX only, they won't interfere with each other as long as they are not touching. your 2m should be out the top and then the rest put at least 5' below it. is this a mast pole or a tower? with a tower or wide pole, you wnat to stand them off from the face at least 18" to eliminate shading from the tower. or at least put them on the side facing your main listening area. shading is not as bad in RX as TX, but still can have a noticeable affect in some instances.
Sponsored links
Old 08-21-2010, 12:56 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

If you are only receiving, a few inches should do, but note that you may not get the same quality of coverage that you would on the side of the antenna that isn't blocked. The further is better.

Now for TXing, it depends what bands you are operating on. If you are on 2M and listening to the 15X.XXX MHz Public Safety band, you may have some problems. If you are on 2m and listening to the 800MHz Public Safety band, you shouldn't have a problem with even the highest power. It will depend on your output power also.
Old 08-23-2010, 9:52 PM

It's all a compromise. Just space them as far apart as you can. If you're transmitting, the roof of a vehicle simply doesn't have enough room to separate them enough to avoid some sort of interference. Just as an example, mountain top systems using split antennas can have interference between antennas spaced 50 feet apart, so forget that notion on a vehicle roof.

Just keep them as far apart as you can, and that's simply the best you can do.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:37 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz0468 View Post
It's all a compromise. Just space them as far apart as you can. If you're transmitting, the roof of a vehicle simply doesn't have enough room to separate them enough to avoid some sort of interference. Just as an example, mountain top systems using split antennas can have interference between antennas spaced 50 feet apart, so forget that notion on a vehicle roof.

Just keep them as far apart as you can, and that's simply the best you can do.
Having two on a vehicle roof and keeping them seperate, Still having interference between the two. Should I turn one off to transmit on the other to keep from blowing the recieve out on the other or will it be ok to have them both on? I've heard both.
Old 08-26-2010, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btritch View Post
Having two on a vehicle roof and keeping them seperate, Still having interference between the two. Should I turn one off to transmit on the other to keep from blowing the recieve out on the other or will it be ok to have them both on? I've heard both.
Turning one off to prevent blowing the receiver is not likely to help anything. The same high level of RF is entering the receiver, whether it's on or off. Some may argue that the receiver front end is more vulnerable when it's powered on, but I have never seen any evidence of that. The most likely reason to shut one down when transmitting on the other is keeping the receiver from squawking at you ever time you transmit.

I routinely run multiple radios and multiple antennas on my vehicles, at power levels up to 100 watts from 4 to 450 MHz, and NEVER have experienced any damage.