'Chugging' Interference on Random-Wire Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

usukICOMuser

For the past several weeks, my HF reception has been constantly cluttered with RF interference across much of the spectrum. The chugging blocks out a number of signals, and is unaffected by the R75's attenuator, notch filter and noise blocker. My set-up is as follows:

-IC-R75 in a second-story corner room in rural New Hampshire.
-33' random-wire passive antenna (short, I know... )
-The wire is strung up alongside the back wall of the house, running by the kitchen and garage.

I've tried turning off various lights, electronics, and even the fluorescent lights in the garage, but to no avail. Any thoughts on the source of interference? Many thanks!

WQFM513

neighbors electronics? i have a similar problem here, second floor of an apartment building, tin roof, electronics junkie neighbors, no outdoor antennas permitted... i do have 75 feet of antenna running around the ceiling in my apartment so i do rx some, not much though.

JnglMassiv

Can you hear the sound on other radios?
If you can run your receiver off batteries, try shutting off the power to the whole house at the panel. This will quickly narrow your search to something in the house or not.

ETA: I do enjoy the occasional chug, however.

ridgescan

Yup he's right..grab the portable, get the chug going on it and go hunting! If you are lucky enough to come up on the culprit, it will overwhelm that portable-you'll know. Hit everything and close-TVs, fridge, wallwarts, floorwarts, lights, dimmers, along the walls between you and your neighbors. Try to find out if it's something YOU can kill. If it's a neighbor, well that's a tough one.

usukICOMuser

Thanks, everyone. I'll definitely try switching off various circuits until (hopefully) the culprit is found. I have tried wandering around the house with my two portables, but the results have only told me that it might be a circuit inside a wall :( But I'll keep searching!

Status
Not open for further replies.