please identify this connector and help me decide the mount and antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to decide which antenna and mount I need for my Kenwood Tk-880. My range is 450-470. I live in a shore community with no major hills. I took a picture of the female connector since i am not sure which male connector I need.
Wide band
Maxrad MWU4002S [MWU4002S] - $39.95 : The Antenna Farm :: , Your Two Way Radio Source!
High Gain
Tram 1174 [1174] - $16.95 : The Antenna Farm :: , Your Two Way Radio Source!
Magnet mount With pl-295 connector
Tram 1235 [Tram 1235] - $16.95 : The Antenna Farm :: , Your Two Way Radio Source!

8ec76212.jpg

343b224a.jpg

Thank you
Vicki

fineshot1

Hi Vicki - that is an SO-239 connector other wise known as the uhf female.
The uhf male mate is the PL-259.

I have used the Maxrad MWU4002 and it is a great performing antenna.

Just make sure all 3 allen screws are tightened down(they come a little
loose) and it will last you forever and perform well.

kg4uad

First off if your using the radio in UHF then you should dump that connector, in commercial world that connector is referred to as a PL-258, SO-239 is RadioShack/HAM lingo. The connector is rated I think for use up to VHF applications and was originally created for analog TV reception and somehow made its way into commercial radios. I love Kenwood Radios and have Many mobiles with that connector. I have a TK-760G that has the pigtail, I lopped off that connector and went back with a TYPE N Female, Type N connectors are rated for use at SHF which is best for low loss coaxial connections. Do you Really need Type N? No but, but they are better, and rated for UHF, PL's are not why Kenwood did it is unknown, probably cheaper. Also on the antenna mount: if you go with a NMO style mount just know that NOT all NMO mounts are rated for UHF and SHF. Rule of thumb is NMO mounts that have a large center contact button it is Not Rated for UHF-SHF use.

kg4uad

n4yek

Last edited:
a little confused

Kg4uad: (or anyone):D
Are you saying i need a ground plane mount or is that something else. I saw some adapters to make a nmo uhf compatible. I'm getting confused:confused:. Please tell me if any of these will work for my 450-470, pl-295 (i can upgrade the connectors later), 45 watt, uhf set-up.:wink::wink::wink:
mount
Maxrad NMO Antenna Magnet Mount with PL-259 Conn NEW | eBay

Tram 1235 [Tram 1235] - $16.95 : The Antenna Farm :: , Your Two Way Radio Source!

antenna
Antenex UHF Whip Antenna for Mobile Two Way Radios NEW | eBay

Maxrad MWU4002S [MWU4002S] - $39.95 : The Antenna Farm :: , Your Two Way Radio Source!

Do i need an adapter?
Antenna Mount Adapters : The Antenna Farm :: , Your Two Way Radio Source!

Wow! The antenna has been the most difficult part in the set-up of my radio:roll:

Thanks again!

fineshot1

The nmo mag mounts (first and second kinks) will work just fine. You do not need a ground plane mount.
The metal of your vehicle will serve as the ground plane. If this is for indoors then use a cookie sheet
or some flat magnetic metal to put the mag mount on, perhaps the top of a filing cabinet or similar.

The antenna's you linked will both work fine.

You will not need an adapter as long as a PL-259 connector is on the end of the antenna cable.
Those adapters you linked are to convert an nmo mount to other mount types which you will not need.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.