Antenna for Westher Channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoDo

Antenna for Weather Channel

I own a GRE PSR-800 scanner. I have a RS 800 MHz antenna on the unit.

Inside my office I can't pick up any of the weather freq's (162.4000 - 162.5500). Can I buy a VHF antenna that is directed to those freq's.

Example - A Laird:
150-162 EXS-150-BNX 3.5" 1/4 wave

150-162 EXB-150-BN 6.0" 1/4 wave

Which will work better or will neither pickup weather band on my scanner.

Last edited:

Rsmims

The frequencies that you plan to listen to will determine the type of antenna you decide on.
Personally, I prefer a discone style. It covers all frequencies between 30mhz up thru 1.3 ghz.
And of course you'll want to mount it outside, the higher, the better.
One antenna covers it all and it is what I use here. I have 1 Diamond and 1 Radio Shack.
They are both mounted about 35 feet up, feed all of my scanners, and they perform identical to each other.
By the way, the Diamond cost twice as much as the Radio Shack and I defy anyone to tell which one gets better reception.

Just my opinion.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
While it's certainly possible to put a 2 meter duckie on a handheld scanner (and they're usually broadbanded enough to cover the weather band acceptably in many cases), inside an office you're almost certainly going to be totally shielded out by the metal in the building and desense (a product of overloading...) from any RFI generated by PCs, printers, flourescent lights and doggone near anything else.

Your best recourse is to get near a window, but that may not be enough to alleviate the desense issue. Physics, HoJo, it's all physics... :.>>

By the way, I believe the freq for the Baltimore area is 162.475

best regards...Mike

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Like I said in my message, I had suggested that, but it may not be far enough away from all the junk in the office. Remember, GRE radios are prone to desensing on VHF

73 Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.