RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Topic Specific Forums > Antennas and Associated Hardware > Scanner / Receiver Antennas

Scanner / Receiver Antennas For discussion of any type of receiving antenna used by a scanner or receiver base, mobile or handheld.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-2014, 7:53 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I have 50' of LMR-400 cable I am wanting to use with the ST-2. Will I want to swap out the enclosed balun for another one, or keep it? I'd hate to negatate the good coax run with an impedance mismatch.
Sponsored links

Old 01-21-2014, 11:46 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Hello, please correct me-Is this the model with several fold out elements covering low band up to 1200??

I once had one of these and was extremely impressed. It is designed for use with 75 ohm coax, while nothing in life is impossible without correct attitude and explosives, I think it would be cost prohibitive to come up with a matching transformer to permit a correct match to you LMR product. No way would you hear the difference!

Used mine with many receivers ranging from a old RS low/high band tunable to Icom R7000/7100. It's all about antenna site selection, mounting, and don't forget to ground the mast to reduce electrical noise. It also gives the signal something "to see" as the sine waves whirl and dance around the elements and into your cable.

The only issue I dislike with 75 ohm cable is the need to add adapters. You get what you pay for, cheap ones lose signal and have poor threading. Good ones cost a few bucks, but you'll enjoy longevity with them. I modified a older Radio Shack low/high band receiver with a industry standard female F and enjoy excellent reception.

Good thing about 75 ohm cable is that you can buy quad shield cable designed for satellite which provides excellent insulation from nearby electrical noise.

Drop me a PM if you like and we can discuss further.

Good Signals,

ed
Old 01-21-2014, 1:05 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default You are correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast1eddie View Post
Hello, please correct me-Is this the model with several fold out elements covering low band up to 1200??

I once had one of these and was extremely impressed. It is designed for use with 75 ohm coax, while nothing in life is impossible without correct attitude and explosives, I think it would be cost prohibitive to come up with a matching transformer to permit a correct match to you LMR product. No way would you hear the difference!

Used mine with many receivers ranging from a old RS low/high band tunable to Icom R7000/7100. It's all about antenna site selection, mounting, and don't forget to ground the mast to reduce electrical noise. It also gives the signal something "to see" as the sine waves whirl and dance around the elements and into your cable.

The only issue I dislike with 75 ohm cable is the need to add adapters. You get what you pay for, cheap ones lose signal and have poor threading. Good ones cost a few bucks, but you'll enjoy longevity with them. I modified a older Radio Shack low/high band receiver with a industry standard female F and enjoy excellent reception.

Good thing about 75 ohm cable is that you can buy quad shield cable designed for satellite which provides excellent insulation from nearby electrical noise.

Drop me a PM if you like and we can discuss further.

Good Signals,

ed
It's that real ugly thing that looks like it was made for an old sci-fi movie.

Great antenna though! I always wonder how they came up with that design (and others like it) and why they thought it would work better than a regular whip.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenVa View Post
Here's mine. I just added another 10 foot section of mast today and grounded both the feed line and mast to an 8' grounding rod. I was getting great reception when it was 5' above the roof but now that it's 15 it's picking up full signals from agencies that are 60 miles away. It's doing very well with 800 systems 30-40 miles away also. I also got a spare ST-2 delivered this week from Summit as back up in case anything happens to this one since I didn't reinforce.
So that extra 10 feet over the 5 feet you can definitely hear the difference?
I am using two ST-2 antennas and one is on a 25 ft mast and the other a 10 foot. Seems to be the 10 foot receives just as well as the 25 foot.
The 10 foot mast is attached via chimmy mount and needs no guy wires. The other antenna 25 feet up has guy wires and on a roof mount at mid center peak of roof/house attached to house with masts cemented into the ground.
Old 03-31-2014, 9:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbm View Post
Here is how that pre-amp is connected.

The 12V wall wart only has to provide around 50-100ma. So almost anything will work.

I usually connect a 3'-5' length of RG6 to the antenna, and then insert the Holland LA-520 amp in the feed line.

Rich

I finally have the time to build this but have a question, What is that connector that the wall wart out plugs in to that the positive and negative feeds connect to the other components?

See my attachment -
Attached Images

Sponsored links
Old 03-31-2014, 10:57 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM82557 View Post
I finally have the time to build this but have a question, What is that connector that the wall wart out plugs in to that the positive and negative feeds connect to the other components?

See my attachment -
That's just an easy way to connect the power.
It beats stripping and soldering wires etc. and makes for fast and easy connections.

Those connectors are commonly used for CCTV cameras.
They're 2.1mm x 5.5mm size as are many wall warts. (male and female types are available)

I use them for a lot of power interconnects.

You and find them all over ebay and Amazon and other places and they're relatively cheap.

Rich

Ebay:
10 pair DC Power Male & Female Plug Jack Adapter Connector 2.1 mm for CCTV
10 Pair DC Power Male Female Plug Jack Adapter Connector 2 1 mm for CCTV LED | eBay

Amazon:
5.5mm x 2.1mm Female + Male CCTV DC Power Connector
Amazon.com: 6 Pcs 5.5x2.1mm Female + Male CCTV DC Power Connector Adapter Repar Part: Camera & Photo
Old 03-31-2014, 12:25 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Re: So I bought this Antennacraft ST2 "Scantenna"

I just put mine up and love it so far. I ran the coax into the basement where my cable TV spliter is so I can disconnect any tv and have an easy run to any room. Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1396286685601.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  31.2 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1396286703265.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  36.2 KB
Old 03-31-2014, 1:37 PM

Hello,
Does anyone know if this antenna requires a rotary motor to work best?
I know people have said it's omni-directional but it sure looks directional to me.
Has anyone tried to rotate this antenna?

Thanks
Old 04-01-2014, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minasha View Post
Hello,
I know people have said it's omni-directional but it sure looks directional to me.

Thanks
It's an omni directional attenna not a beam antenna. You would be wasting your $$$$ for a rotor.
Sponsored links
Old 04-01-2014, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minasha View Post
Hello,

Thanks
It is a Omni Directional Antenna as mentioned, but it is Some what directional at the same time.
I have two of these and have found them slightly directional.

Find a slightly weak signal station and turn the antenna and see if it picks up better, some cases it will some cases it will not.

Worth a rotor purchase? Up to you, as with the entire hobby, every situation is different and every out come is different. It may or may not make a difference.
Old 04-25-2014, 8:00 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Has anyone found which direction is is "a little directional" in? i.e. front of the boom toward the weakest station? I am trying to boost my VHF air reception just a tad to bring in ground control/aircraft on the ground at the local airport, but dont have any way to monitor it while up on the roof. Currently, have it pointed (boom) directly at the airport.

Had to fold the little 800 Mhz matching stubs by the 800 Mhz element horizontal instead of vertically as intended, to reduce the 800 Mhz signal enough to pick up my local simulcast sites without bring in all of them, which makes it really difficult for the scanner to receive without constant breaking up and garbling.

Used it for a while at 1090Mhz for ADS-B, and it worked much better than expected. Got aircraft out to about 70 miles (compared with 140 miles with a DPD productions high gain ADS-B omni). Much better reception on VHF high band than my previous Radio Shack discone.
Old 04-25-2014, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenlr View Post
Has anyone found which direction is is "a little directional" in? i.e. front of the boom toward the weakest station? I am trying to boost my VHF air reception just a tad to bring in ground control/aircraft on the ground at the local airport, but dont have any way to monitor it while up on the roof. Currently, have it pointed (boom) directly at the airport.

Had to fold the little 800 Mhz matching stubs by the 800 Mhz element horizontal instead of vertically as intended, to reduce the 800 Mhz signal enough to pick up my local simulcast sites without bring in all of them, which makes it really difficult for the scanner to receive without constant breaking up and garbling.

Used it for a while at 1090Mhz for ADS-B, and it worked much better than expected. Got aircraft out to about 70 miles (compared with 140 miles with a DPD productions high gain ADS-B omni). Much better reception on VHF high band than my previous Radio Shack discone.
All i can say is that is doesn't hold up to high winds that well. I even reinforced it per instructions in here. It may have prolonged the life of antenna before 3 of the radials fell off.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:07 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I have two of em, so if they break, Ill just replace them. I havent found a single antenna that works as well as this one. I am getting fire departments out in the mountains at 60+ miles. Its a little flimsy, but for $45, compared with the next closest competitor (Austin Ferret at $225) I can afford to replace a few.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenlr View Post
I have two of em, so if they break, Ill just replace them. I havent found a single antenna that works as well as this one. I am getting fire departments out in the mountains at 60+ miles. Its a little flimsy, but for $45, compared with the next closest competitor (Austin Ferret at $225) I can afford to replace a few.
I agree with you. I too have an extra one ready to go up. 3 pieces of the antenna are gone but the vertical part is still intact and it still works ok.
Old 07-16-2014, 8:00 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

SolidSignal.com has the ST2 on sale for 39.99. Not sure if that's a good price?

Deal of the Day - Solid Signal
Sponsored links
Old 07-16-2014, 8:56 PM

Mine lost 3 elements out of 4. It was reinforced with that fiberglass whip and black tape. The other antenna is still holding fine. It isn't as high as it is on a 10 ft. mast. The one that did fall apart is on a 25 feet mast with guy wire.
Old 07-19-2014, 8:37 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I just ordered the ST2 from scannermaster. Should be arriving this week. I live roughly 1-3 miles from the closest tower but I am unable to receive signals (mostly static). I'm renting, so mounting it outdoors is not an option. I'm going to be mounting it in my attic. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:44 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScanPEI View Post
I just ordered the ST2 from scannermaster. Should be arriving this week. I live roughly 1-3 miles from the closest tower but I am unable to receive signals (mostly static). I'm renting, so mounting it outdoors is not an option. I'm going to be mounting it in my attic. I'll let you all know how it turns out.
Keep us posted on the performance of antenna once you get it mounted into attic.
Old 07-20-2014, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK6BDZ View Post
i have had the st-2 for over a year, works great, been thru a couple 40+ wind storms, no problems, i did change the factory 300 to 75 ohm adapter, seems to have helped with a little better reception, i havent grounded mine, just unhook the scanner when there is lightning, i pretty sure that a little ground block isnt going to stop all that juice
Yeah you want to make a few modifications and then swap out that 75Ω transformer with a 50Ω one (since about 99% of scanners have a 50Ω antenna input impedance) and then run [LMR]400 coax all the way to your N to SMA/BNC pigtail.
XTS3000/5000 (UCM) DTR EF 5100 ITT SINCGARS RT1523B
Old 07-20-2014, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_K View Post
SolidSignal.com has the ST2 on sale for 39.99. Not sure if that's a good price?

Deal of the Day - Solid Signal
Would have been. Looks like they're back to $48.00. Still, good antenna.
XTS3000/5000 (UCM) DTR EF 5100 ITT SINCGARS RT1523B