RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Topic Specific Forums > Antennas and Associated Hardware > Scanner / Receiver Antennas

Scanner / Receiver Antennas For discussion of any type of receiving antenna used by a scanner or receiver base, mobile or handheld.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #241 (permalink)  
Old 01-21-2014, 7:53 AM
RRR RRR is online now
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 201
Default

I have 50' of LMR-400 cable I am wanting to use with the ST-2. Will I want to swap out the enclosed balun for another one, or keep it? I'd hate to negatate the good coax run with an impedance mismatch.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #242 (permalink)  
Old 01-21-2014, 11:46 AM
Fast1eddie's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Posts: 580
Default

Hello, please correct me-Is this the model with several fold out elements covering low band up to 1200??

I once had one of these and was extremely impressed. It is designed for use with 75 ohm coax, while nothing in life is impossible without correct attitude and explosives, I think it would be cost prohibitive to come up with a matching transformer to permit a correct match to you LMR product. No way would you hear the difference!

Used mine with many receivers ranging from a old RS low/high band tunable to Icom R7000/7100. It's all about antenna site selection, mounting, and don't forget to ground the mast to reduce electrical noise. It also gives the signal something "to see" as the sine waves whirl and dance around the elements and into your cable.

The only issue I dislike with 75 ohm cable is the need to add adapters. You get what you pay for, cheap ones lose signal and have poor threading. Good ones cost a few bucks, but you'll enjoy longevity with them. I modified a older Radio Shack low/high band receiver with a industry standard female F and enjoy excellent reception.

Good thing about 75 ohm cable is that you can buy quad shield cable designed for satellite which provides excellent insulation from nearby electrical noise.

Drop me a PM if you like and we can discuss further.

Good Signals,

ed
__________________
Edward Hutton
Reply With Quote
  #243 (permalink)  
Old 01-21-2014, 1:05 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Central New York
Posts: 461
Default You are correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast1eddie View Post
Hello, please correct me-Is this the model with several fold out elements covering low band up to 1200??

I once had one of these and was extremely impressed. It is designed for use with 75 ohm coax, while nothing in life is impossible without correct attitude and explosives, I think it would be cost prohibitive to come up with a matching transformer to permit a correct match to you LMR product. No way would you hear the difference!

Used mine with many receivers ranging from a old RS low/high band tunable to Icom R7000/7100. It's all about antenna site selection, mounting, and don't forget to ground the mast to reduce electrical noise. It also gives the signal something "to see" as the sine waves whirl and dance around the elements and into your cable.

The only issue I dislike with 75 ohm cable is the need to add adapters. You get what you pay for, cheap ones lose signal and have poor threading. Good ones cost a few bucks, but you'll enjoy longevity with them. I modified a older Radio Shack low/high band receiver with a industry standard female F and enjoy excellent reception.

Good thing about 75 ohm cable is that you can buy quad shield cable designed for satellite which provides excellent insulation from nearby electrical noise.

Drop me a PM if you like and we can discuss further.

Good Signals,

ed
It's that real ugly thing that looks like it was made for an old sci-fi movie.

Great antenna though! I always wonder how they came up with that design (and others like it) and why they thought it would work better than a regular whip.
Reply With Quote
  #244 (permalink)  
Old 01-21-2014, 11:03 PM
stingray327's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Francisco, California bay area
Posts: 579
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenVa View Post
Here's mine. I just added another 10 foot section of mast today and grounded both the feed line and mast to an 8' grounding rod. I was getting great reception when it was 5' above the roof but now that it's 15 it's picking up full signals from agencies that are 60 miles away. It's doing very well with 800 systems 30-40 miles away also. I also got a spare ST-2 delivered this week from Summit as back up in case anything happens to this one since I didn't reinforce.
So that extra 10 feet over the 5 feet you can definitely hear the difference?
I am using two ST-2 antennas and one is on a 25 ft mast and the other a 10 foot. Seems to be the 10 foot receives just as well as the 25 foot.
The 10 foot mast is attached via chimmy mount and needs no guy wires. The other antenna 25 feet up has guy wires and on a roof mount at mid center peak of roof/house attached to house with masts cemented into the ground.
Reply With Quote
  #245 (permalink)  
Old 03-31-2014, 9:57 AM
BM82557's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Berkeley County, WV
Posts: 1,272
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbm View Post
Here is how that pre-amp is connected.

The 12V wall wart only has to provide around 50-100ma. So almost anything will work.

I usually connect a 3'-5' length of RG6 to the antenna, and then insert the Holland LA-520 amp in the feed line.

Rich



I finally have the time to build this but have a question, What is that connector that the wall wart out plugs in to that the positive and negative feeds connect to the other components?

See my attachment -
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #246 (permalink)  
Old 03-31-2014, 10:57 AM
rbm's Avatar
rbm rbm is offline
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 812
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM82557 View Post
I finally have the time to build this but have a question, What is that connector that the wall wart out plugs in to that the positive and negative feeds connect to the other components?

See my attachment -
That's just an easy way to connect the power.
It beats stripping and soldering wires etc. and makes for fast and easy connections.

Those connectors are commonly used for CCTV cameras.
They're 2.1mm x 5.5mm size as are many wall warts. (male and female types are available)

I use them for a lot of power interconnects.

You and find them all over ebay and Amazon and other places and they're relatively cheap.

Rich

Ebay:
10 pair DC Power Male & Female Plug Jack Adapter Connector 2.1 mm for CCTV
10 Pair DC Power Male Female Plug Jack Adapter Connector 2 1 mm for CCTV LED | eBay

Amazon:
5.5mm x 2.1mm Female + Male CCTV DC Power Connector
Amazon.com: 6 Pcs 5.5x2.1mm Female + Male CCTV DC Power Connector Adapter Repar Part: Camera & Photo
Reply With Quote
  #247 (permalink)  
Old 03-31-2014, 12:25 PM
Kingmobileaudio's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 545
Default Re: So I bought this Antennacraft ST2 "Scantenna"

I just put mine up and love it so far. I ran the coax into the basement where my cable TV spliter is so I can disconnect any tv and have an easy run to any room. Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1396286685601.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  31.2 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1396286703265.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  36.2 KB
Reply With Quote
  #248 (permalink)  
Old 03-31-2014, 1:37 PM
minasha's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 99
Default

Hello,
Does anyone know if this antenna requires a rotary motor to work best?
I know people have said it's omni-directional but it sure looks directional to me.
Has anyone tried to rotate this antenna?

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #249 (permalink)  
Old 04-01-2014, 12:37 AM
stingray327's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Francisco, California bay area
Posts: 579
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by minasha View Post
Hello,
Does anyone know if this antenna requires a rotary motor to work best?
I know people have said it's omni-directional but it sure looks directional to me.
Has anyone tried to rotate this antenna?

Thanks
It's an omni directional attenna not a beam antenna. You would be wasting your $$$$ for a rotor.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #250 (permalink)  
Old 04-01-2014, 4:03 AM
digitalanalog's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Columbiana County,Ohio
Posts: 1,266
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by minasha View Post
Hello,
Does anyone know if this antenna requires a rotary motor to work best?
I know people have said it's omni-directional but it sure looks directional to me.
Has anyone tried to rotate this antenna?

Thanks
It is a Omni Directional Antenna as mentioned, but it is Some what directional at the same time.
I have two of these and have found them slightly directional.

Find a slightly weak signal station and turn the antenna and see if it picks up better, some cases it will some cases it will not.

Worth a rotor purchase? Up to you, as with the entire hobby, every situation is different and every out come is different. It may or may not make a difference.
__________________
-----> No Comment <-----
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 1:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2011 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions