RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Topic Specific Forums > Antennas and Associated Hardware > Scanner / Receiver Antennas

Scanner / Receiver Antennas For discussion of any type of receiving antenna used by a scanner or receiver base, mobile or handheld.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-24-2012, 6:57 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

kb5zcs, I cannot agree with you more. I wouldn't think to run my scanner without the ground block in place. Let it bleed the static away is the best. Plus it may lower the noise floor too on the VHF- Lo bands. The grounding starts a Corona Discharge to keep the antenna from being hit. I have read that home lightning rods do not attract lightning, it starts the Corona Discharge letting a flow of negative ions flow up to help prevent a strike. Im sure nothing is really safe at all, but sure is best to have everything grounded properly thats for sure.
Uniden: BCT15X
Sponsored links
Old 08-24-2012, 7:36 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

what frequency range do they run and where can you get one?
Old 08-24-2012, 9:38 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

When I replaced my ST2 with the Diamond D130NJ (I want a HAM ticket and needed an antenna to transmit) I used this setup to ground my coax and mast.

ATT3G50 (N) it covers 0-3000 mhz
Alpha Delta Surge Protectors

Alpha Delta UCGC
Alpha Delta UCGC Grounding Clamp

It was all a lot more expensive than the little f connector tv grounding block I had with the ST2 but it's all about peace of mind with me. The clamp is on a 5/8" 10' copper ground rod about 8 feet in the ground that's hooked to another 10' rod at the same depth that's about 8' away. The mast and ground rods are hooked together with 4 awg solid bare copper wire. It may not work any better than the 2 buck ground I had before but I've convinced myself it does and that's all that matters.
Old 08-24-2012, 9:38 PM

Question to all.
I am waiting on my Scantenna which is backordered from Solid Signal and I’ve be thinking about this, which adapter do I need to get to connect it to my Uniden Home Patrol?
Old 08-24-2012, 9:50 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamretired911 View Post
Question to all.
I am waiting on my Scantenna which is backordered from Solid Signal and I’ve be thinking about this, which adapter do I need to get to connect it to my Uniden Home Patrol?
Should have everything you need in the box. If by some chance it's not included you'll need a F female to BNC male.

Last edited by StephenVa; 08-24-2012 at 9:52 PM..
Sponsored links

Old 08-29-2012, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamretired911 View Post
Isnt this a 4-Port Cable TV HDTV Signal Booster/Amplifier? If so, it can be used for a scanner?
Could you tell me how you would connect a Home Patrol to this?
Thanks
Old 09-02-2012, 12:07 AM

You'll need a section of coax with male F connectors. One connector to the output of the amp. I think the Home Parol uses a SMA connector, so you'll need a SMA male (I think) to female F adapter. Connect the adapter to the other end of the coax.

Of course you'll need to attach an antenna to amp input.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:47 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Amazon.com: QUAD CABLE GROUND BLOCK HIGH-FREQUENCY 3GHz (PVGBQHF): Electronics how do you guys think this would work as a ground block?
Old 09-28-2012, 7:04 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

The amp I use with my ST-2. Well, old amp. The one I use now is same specs, just 8 port. I branch 6 scanners off of it, and have no problems. It even has its own ground screw. My ST-2 still struggles with 800 though.
Only thing I had to do was replace the 300-75, and I opted to run a quad shield RG-6 marked for HDTV's. The rs branded cable it came with seemed cheep to me.
Attached Images

Old 09-28-2012, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ6HCB View Post
It is a Electroline EDA2400. They also have a 2800 8 way unit.

These amps aren't the best to use. If you notice the 5-42 MHZ , well that portion is diplexed and designed for return path. No downstream signal in that range and the you may wind up transmitting noise within that range since it is amplifying opposite direction within that range.
Old 09-28-2012, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ6HCB View Post
It is a Electroline EDA2400. They also have a 2800 8 way unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconrider8 View Post
Amazon.com: QUAD CABLE GROUND BLOCK HIGH-FREQUENCY 3GHz (PVGBQHF): Electronics how do you guys think this would work as a ground block?
Just go to your local Cable company and get one from them....
Old 09-28-2012, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowerrollin View Post
The amp I use with my ST-2. Well, old amp. The one I use now is same specs, just 8 port. I branch 6 scanners off of it, and have no problems. It even has its own ground screw. My ST-2 still struggles with 800 though.
Only thing I had to do was replace the 300-75, and I opted to run a quad shield RG-6 marked for HDTV's. The rs branded cable it came with seemed cheep to me.
At least this one is passive on the return path , but still will attenuate like a mofo between 5-45 mhz due to the diplexing.
Old 09-28-2012, 7:44 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavmedic View Post
At least this one is passive on the return path , but still will attenuate like a mofo between 5-45 mhz due to the diplexing.
My county uses a low band radio in 37.00 MHz, and I figured I would loose almost all of it trading for the UHF the amp boosts. Thing is it still picks up both low band repeaters fine, on a desensitized Electra Bearcat IV of all scanners! Mileage may vary for everyone though. Nothing outside of my county uses VHF Low anymore, at least nothing I would want to hear. I also figured I would pick up cross noise from the other scanners without a multicoupler. If I am, I cant tell.
Old 09-28-2012, 7:56 PM

Ill have to get one of the head end guys throw one on the analyzer when I go back to work Monday ... The Port to Port isolation should be pretty good. Most of the splitters we use are no less than like 130db rejection , and that seems to be standard in the Cable industry.
Old 09-28-2012, 8:01 PM

They are weather proofed , so if you got a single port 15db and a PI , you could mast mount one.....
Sponsored links
Old 09-28-2012, 8:06 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Get back to me via PM if ya figure out anything plz. And mast mounting might give me the 800 MHz edge my ST-2 lacks. Forgot they were waterproofed.
Old 09-28-2012, 8:10 PM

I know for sure they work well up to 860, as that's where we run our system to. But RG6 has about a 10db loss/100 feet up there. So if you are amp'g it at the end of your feed line , probably just getting garbage in , garbage out . I'll have them run some tests and see what the machine spits out for results and get back to you.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:07 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Is T10 any good..to use for scanner antenna? I have a ton of this that was given to me and I have used it all over my house for anything that needed a coax cable run to it over the years including my scanners. I have an rs omni directional antenna that did great untill the County changed from analog to digital 800 and I am looking for anything that will help me pull in the site. I have installed a Yagi and it is doing well and I am now waiting on an ST2 to see if that will help. I know have too Uniden Scanners one dedicated to the Yagi and the other for everything else from 46, 153, 400 and 800 systems in the area. I am hoping that the ST2 will not only pull in the 800 digital site but all others as well so I can go back to 1 scanner for all.

I need a run of 75' to antenna, the ST2 only comes with 50' of RG6...I have seen previous posts that talk about changing cable to RG-8 50ohm which leads me too where to get the cable and the 300 to 50ohm transformer???
Old 10-02-2012, 9:03 AM

Would there be any problems if I put two ST2's side by side? One on the left and one on the right.
Old 10-05-2012, 6:49 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Mr

Is this set up ok or not optimal for scanner reception? Yagi and ST2
Attached Images