SpectrumForce Wideband Antenna For Uniden Home Patrol HP-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I have been using my Uniden Home Patrol HP-1 while mobile since earlier this year. I am trying to decide which SpectrumForce Wideband Antenna to get. At first glance, it would seem to be a "no brainer" to simply get the one with an SMA. On the other hand, if I get the BNC version, it would work with my BCD996XT. I suppose the bottom line is I would have to use an adapter for one or the other depending on which one I get, since the HP-1 is SMA and the BCD996XT is BNC.

Also, does anybody have a good source of a right angle SMA adapter. Another part of the reason I was thinking about the BNC version is I already have a right angle BNC adapter. Anyway, I want to hear from others that use the SpectrumForce Wideband Antenna with the Home Patrol. Do you prefer the SMA or the BNC version and why?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I have been using my Uniden Home Patrol HP-1 while mobile since earlier this year. I am trying to decide which SpectrumForce Wideband Antenna to get. At first glance, it would seem to be a "no brainer" to simply get the one with an SMA. On the other hand, if I get the BNC version, it would work with my BCD996XT. I suppose the bottom line is I would have to use an adapter for one or the other depending on which one I get, since the HP-1 is SMA and the BCD996XT is BNC.

Also, does anybody have a good source of a right angle SMA adapter. Another part of the reason I was thinking about the BNC version is I already have a right angle BNC adapter. Anyway, I want to hear from others that use the SpectrumForce Wideband Antenna with the Home Patrol. Do you prefer the SMA or the BNC version and why?
I'm using the BNC version of the Spectrum force. My PSR-500 is BNC. and I'm using the SMA->BNC adapters on both of my 396XTs as well, since most of my antennas are BNC.

I'm using a SMA/BNC adapter that I purchased from Universal. See this. I leave the BNC right angle adapter in place, since at home, depending on where in the house I'm using the scanner, I may use either an external antenna (rooftop ST-2), or a whip (either R/S 800MHz, or Diamond RH77CA). See the attached.

I generally use this antenna when I'm going on short regional trips. But the first segment of my most common journey takes me from Dallas, across the southern side of the metro area, through Fort Worth, before heading west on I-20. In the metro area, I can hear most all of the major systems on the HP-1. Once I get out west, where VHF-high predominates, I can usually hear dispatch frequencies from counties 40-60 miles away, with some even more distant.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.