RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Topic Specific Forums > Antennas and Associated Hardware > Scanner / Receiver Antennas

Scanner / Receiver Antennas For discussion of any type of receiving antenna used by a scanner or receiver base, mobile or handheld.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 10:00 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default 410-420mhz BNC ducky

I need to find a BNC ducky tuned as closely possible to 410-420mhz... I thought I did here, but these out of stock and the lead time is 12-14 weeks...

EXC406BNX - Antenex (Centurion) 406-420MHz BNC/Male (Covered) Tuf Duck Antenna

Can anyone recommend where I can purchase such an antenna? I've looked around and found not much else unless I buy in volume...

Old 11-28-2012, 10:26 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Tessco has the EXC-400-BNX available to order. It is "not a typically stocked" item, but I have ordered such items from them in the past and received them within a week.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:06 AM

Avaliable off the shelf from hamcity.com I would think - they tend to keep a loads of duckies in stock. Or Motorola, but their retail prices are shocking!

Or make one: you'll need a piece of stiff wire or bicycle spoke (better), a piece of dowling, or copper tubing (if you going to use a bicycle spoke - easier to coil when hot), a coaxial connector of the same type/oppisite sex that is on your handheld, some solder wire, beg, borrow or steal a soldering iron - get the measurements/dimensions off line or I'll attach them to email with diagram and happily send to you. That's it.

How long will it take to make?
About 20 - 30min of your time - you'll learn something, have the pleasure of using an antenna you made yourself and so long as you adhere carefully to the length and coiling dimensions I assure it'll work as well as (if not better than) any commercial ducky.
Old 11-28-2012, 1:42 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Thanks for the tips...

I do have a soldering iron, and I can acquire a BNC connector... I'd give it a shot at making one, but how durable can it be when worn around on a belt clip? Thats the nice thing about the molded ones...
Old 11-29-2012, 10:24 AM

Point taken - molded duck antennas are certainly very durable. I'm afraid I have to say no, a DIY one is not going to offer you the same degree of durability - its going to get bent out of shape a lot quicker. If thats an issue, stick to a commercial example.
Sponsored links
Old 11-29-2012, 7:33 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiVolt View Post
Thanks for the tips...

I do have a soldering iron, and I can acquire a BNC connector... I'd give it a shot at making one, but how durable can it be when worn around on a belt clip? Thats the nice thing about the molded ones...
Smilely Antenna Company Smiley Antenna Makes custom duckies.

Ermin