RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Topic Specific Forums > Antennas and Associated Hardware > Scanner / Receiver Antennas

Scanner / Receiver Antennas For discussion of any type of receiving antenna used by a scanner or receiver base, mobile or handheld.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 11:04 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Location: In a house along a busy road in Mercer County, Farrell, Pa.
Default Base antenna thoughts...

I want to get an antenna for a new BCD996XT. The one that comes in the box doesn't really seem to do the job. Any thoughts? What are you using instead of the packaged one? Can't install an outdoor antenna so let's not even think that route. Thought about heading over to the Radio Scrap Store but thought I would ask here first.
Sponsored links
Old 12-29-2012, 11:37 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Base Antenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by wv_mountaineer View Post
I want to get an antenna for a new BCD996XT. The one that comes in the box doesn't really seem to do the job. Any thoughts? What are you using instead of the packaged one? Can't install an outdoor antenna so let's not even think that route. Thought about heading over to the Radio Scrap Store but thought I would ask here first.
If you can't do the outside antenna, try a mag mount style on a pizza pan or file cabinet. Much better results than the stock antenna.
Old 12-30-2012, 8:44 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Yup, a mag-mount antenna on something metal should do better then the stock antenna.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:42 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Scott- This antenna in the RR Antenna Wiki is a very effective indoor antenna when hung in a window or placed in an attic (2nd one listed in the article; wire version). Can be built for less than $10 and about 30 min of your time to make and install. It's very broadbanded and can be located in an indoor "sweet spot" away from your scanner and sources of RF noise. No cookie sheet, magnet, air conditioner, or ground plane of any sort required. No need to purchase a mag mount mobile antenna. Parts a available in any hardware/home supply store. Guaranteed to work better than the telescoping whip that came in the scanner box:
Homebrewed Off-Center Fed Dipole - The RadioReference Wiki

Last edited by popnokick; 12-30-2012 at 11:27 AM.. Reason: added info