Going mobile with handheld question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave2582

Curr: Hudson, NH Lived: Tewksbury/Billerica MA
I have a question regarding putting an antenna on my car. I have one of those shark fin style antenna for my hyundai sonata. I don't have GPS. I don't use blue tooth, and I don't use satellite. So basically I was wondering if I could remove that antenna, and to put in place of it, an antenna for my handheld (Pro-106).

I'm no pro at making a mobile unit, but any help would be appreciated. What would I need for wiring and all? Or should I go to a local chain electronics shop and have them set it up?

Or should I use a mag mount type antenna? I'm just throwing all these ideas out there. I drive a good distance every day between 2 jobs and home, and didn't know if there's a better way than just hooking up the handheld to my car speakers and using the outlet to power it on.

Thanks.

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
I run my pro-106 from the cigarette lighter with Alkaline batteries and the black battery holder, the scanner itself is mounted on a floor mount and I have a Larsen 150-400-800 NMO antenna on a mag mount. It works very well for me, it was simple to set up and not very expensive.

dmg1969

Many die hard radio guys are against magnetic mounts, but that's what I use. I have a Bearcat BC125AT handheld in my Hyundai Tucson in a cup holder mount and I use Radio Shack's magnetic mount antenna on my roof. I use a wideband antenna because I listen to frequencies from VHF low to UHF. It's just the option that is best for me.

If I listened to a dedicated frequency range, I might opt for an NMO mount Larsen or Comet antenna with a non-drilled mount. I also am not a fan of drilling for an antenna for just my scanner hobby. If I was in the emergency services or into amateur radio, that might change my mind. Again, do what works best for you. My opinion would be to start temporary and move to permanent. Just my two cents.

awattam

Dave,

If I had the option of removing the vehicles existing antenna and replacing it with a scanner antenna then I would. The way I would look at it is that the roof will already have holes in it where your existing antenna was, and if you do need to drill a bigger hole for an antenna and down the road you want to sell the car, you could always put the old antenna back and cover the hole you made. I havent that option sadly as my cars radio antenna is built into the rear windshield.

Many one here who have tried will tell you that drilling a hole and using a proper mount for an external antenna is the better way to go over using a mag-mount. I havent tried but would love to see how much better reception would be.

W2NJS

Dave,

If I had the option of removing the vehicles existing antenna and replacing it with a scanner antenna then I would. The way I would look at it is that the roof will already have holes in it where your existing antenna was, and if you do need to drill a bigger hole for an antenna and down the road you want to sell the car, you could always put the old antenna back and cover the hole you made. I havent that option sadly as my cars radio antenna is built into the rear windshield.

Many one here who have tried will tell you that drilling a hole and using a proper mount for an external antenna is the better way to go over using a mag-mount. I havent tried but would love to see how much better reception would be.

My opinion about mag mounts is this: 1. They usually work as well as a fixed-mount antenna. 2. They often will blow off the car in a strong wind. 3. Continued use will definitely ruin your car's paint in the magmount's sticking area. 4. Sometimes getting the coax cable into the car can be a problem, more so over the long run, since you're usually running it in a window groove or trunk groove so eventually you will crush the cable at one or more points which may interfere with reception and will definitely mess up your signal if you're also transmitting if it's a ham install.

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
I have a 1996 Ford F250HD pickup. Due to the age of the vehicle (which I bought new along with a new Lance truck camper) I decided "to hell with it" and drilled. I installed a shielded NMO mount dead-center in the roof, with an FME jack, and ran LMR-300 down through one of the door pillars and down into the area of theoor trans "hump". Worked amazing for years until the day I woke up and found out that it is illegal to drive around New York with a scanner in your car!! Oh, I also used the old A/S MON-53. Point being that drilling gives you really great Rx.

Dave2582

Curr: Hudson, NH Lived: Tewksbury/Billerica MA
Thanks everyone for your input. I was unaware that you need a coax cable to go from the antenna mounted on the exterior and have to run it into your car/truck to the radio. I thought it was just a simple small wire.

I also have a black 2011 hyundai sonata which looks nice. I'm not sure if I want to be drilling holes this early with the car being a few years old. I may just hold off until I feel brave enough to experiment.

LIScanner101

You DEFINITELY need coax, even just for a short run. Ok, you don't need LMR-300, I got a little carried away!

LtDoc

As for that drilling holes thing, don't let it worry you too much. As long as it's done correctly, don't botch the thing up a lot, a hole or two makes no difference in the value of a vehicle. Believe me, I know how it feels to make holes in a new car! But the 'pain' doesn't last long and the results are usually worth it.
- 'Doc

AlanW

Don't forget that there are some window mount type antenna. No hole drilling, no running coax through a door jam. Maybe I should give more detail. The antenna mounts on the outside of the glass with double-stick tape and on the inside is a matching-box with the coax attachment that also attaches to the glass with double-stick tape. I use this type on my car and truck for years. Moved them at will replacing the tape with new from the hardware store. Never lost a one...

Alan, W4WMM

Last edited:

russellmaher

KC1ANC
Hi Dave2582 - Don't forget to check out the various scanner antennas that use the trunk lip mount, which is the type I prefer and use on my 2006 Sonata. They're more secure than a magnet mount and you don't have to drill a hole in the body of your auto. I've got two on my car...the multi band Austin Spectra and a Larsen 450-470 and I'm happy with how they work.

The trunk lip mount attaches with 2 set screws under the lid and then you snake the coax from inside the trunk under the back seat, then under the front seat to your scanner which you can mount several ways, i.e., windshield suction mount, cup holder mount, or vent mount, or just laying on the seat next to you.

Think about it - they're alternatives to drilling holes in the roof and pulling the headliner to snake coax down into the driver's area.

This is what my vehicle looks like with my antennas on it. Hope this helps out.

Russell

Attachments

• Antennas on car trunk.jpg
    Antennas on car trunk.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 1,793

lep

The last time I bought a new car, I too had reservations about plunging the business end of the drill bit into the metal! So, I took the easy way out, I just made an appointment with my local MOT shop who has guys who intall radios/antennas etc. every day on a professional basis. They know what they are doing and have all the correct tools. The cost is on a labor/parts basis and is reasonable compared to the cost of buying a car!
So, I had them put an NMO mount on each rear quarter panel near the rear window, run all the coax from the trunk, under the carpet and to the dash. Problem solved. And, as others have observed the "damage" will make no difference in an eventual trade in/sale. (Oh, and they provided chrome caps to cover the screw base when the antennas are removed for automatic car washes.)

NYRHKY94

Dave:

As Russell stated in his post, a trunk lip mount is a nice compromise between drilling holes and using a mag mount. It's a simple install and very effective. I use my Pro-106 mounted in a vent clip just to the right of my steering wheel, which allows for a good visual and easy reach. It simply slides in an out of the clip as needed. I have a Larsen Tri-Band antenna mounted on the right back side of my trunk using a Comet trunk lip mount. The coax is routed through the back seat and then under the floor mats and up to the scanner. It can all be removed in about 5 minutes if needed. The scanner is powered via the cig lighter and the audio is run through my car stereo system. I use this setup every day while doing my work commute.

LIScanner101

I had a trunk-lip NMO mount on a 2003 Honda Accord 2dr coupe. I stopped using it because, unknown to me for a while, the coax was bending the weather gasket back just far enough to create a tiny opening. When it rained, water would trickle in through this little gap. I only noticed it one day when I opened the trunk after doing some shopping and found the trunk mat pretty wet!

NYRHKY94

Dave:

Here is a picture of my Larsen Tri-Band anenna (highly recommended by the way) with a trunk lip mount, also from Larsen. I just recently switched to a Comet CP-5NMO trunk lip mount (using the same Larsen antenna). With the Comet mount, the first 18 inches of coax is mini RG-174A/U, which allows easy entry through the weather seal without any water leaks or coax damage. I got everything at the Ham Radio Outlet in Salem, NH.

Mike

Last edited:

NYRHKY94

Dave:

The coax is simply routed through the back seat and then under the floor mats and up to the scanner. It can be installed and removed in about 5 minutes. The mount itself has a set of screws that attach to the underside of the trunk. I got the antenna & the mount/coax at HRO in Salem, NH a long time ago and don't remember the total cost. You can search their web site or give them a call. The Larsen combo is what I used, however there are a lot of good antennas & trunk lip mounts out there at various price points. Not cheap by any means, but I listen to my scanner in the car whenever I'm driving so it was well worth the cost for me (versus using just the rubber ducky).

Good luck!

russellmaher

KC1ANC
I think you've made a wise choice of trunk mount vs. magnet mount, and you should be pleased with the results. Why not make a trip to Scanner Master in Holliston MA, where they have a store so you can see the antenna and mount up close, and decide for yourself which antenna you'd like. You can see their website at the top of the page and get directions to their location. I'm planning to drive up there in the next few weeks to pick up another scanner. Hope this helps.

Russell

Status
Not open for further replies.