Reinforcement support for ST2 antenna question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackink

I was wondering if this stake with a steel support will work if I attach it to a ST2 antenna?
By attach, I mean using zip ties or some type of electrical tape to fasten it to the center rod (the longest element) of the antenna for support.
My concern is if the steel that's inside the plastic coating will interfere will my reception.

I've seen mentioned here about fiberglass bicycle flag poles being used, fiberglass chimney cleaning rods, etc. but none of these has any steel in them.

Thanks for any help

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Well I suspect the steel in the rod is very likely to detune the antenna on certain bands (almost certainly on VHF low, depending on the length of the rod - it's nearly impossible to project the effect on other bands). The ST2 is basically a series of dipoles with a common feedpoint, so adding steel in its vicinity is not a real good idea...Mike

lost_in_maine

I was wondering if this stake with a steel support will work if I attach it to a ST2 antenna?
By attach, I mean using zip ties or some type of electrical tape to fasten it to the center rod (the longest element) of the antenna for support.
My concern is if the steel that's inside the plastic coating will interfere will my reception.

I've seen mentioned here about fiberglass bicycle flag poles being used, fiberglass chimney cleaning rods, etc. but none of these has any steel in them.

Thanks for any help

I have 2 on my roof, one for 6+ Years, only took it down to upgrade coax...
I have never re-enforced either of them, and I'm in Maine with some pretty harsh winters..
Highest gust I recorded here was 70 mph, and no problems..both antennas are at about 50 Ft..

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Some of the older model ST2s, along with their knockoffs you can find in a few places, aren't reinforced very well at the center point, so the long element - which is likely for VHF lo - tends to break off in bad wind conditions, thus the interest in reinforcement

Mike

lost_in_maine

Here is a screenshot of how some were doing it remember back when they first came out...
Flag being fiberglass won't mess with the antenna
Several threads here in the Forum on the subject..

Attachments

• Reinforcescantenna.jpg
    Reinforcescantenna.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 2,166

Blackink

I ordered the antenna in March from Amazon but it came from Solid Signal.
I too read many reviews about this antenna and how the older models were cheap and didn't hold up well in high winds.

I also read that the newer models were better made and held up better. Well, I never owned one of these until 3 months ago when I ordered it and when I took a good look at it the other day, I thought it was kinda flimsy. I haven't had the time to install it yet.
I live in a higher elevation with wind gusts at times of 40-50 mph easily (higher at times!!!) and when I "unfolded" the thing, I wondered how long it would be before this one bit the dust from high winds. Those aluminum elements don't look like they'd hold up even in 30-40- mph winds.

That rod I pictured above was something my wife had kicking around but I won't use that for support. I do have some chimney cleaning rods from the bygone days and I'll fasten a section of that to the center.

Thanks for your input. It's very much appreciated.

rbm

I've had four of them installed for the last 21 years.

When the last one broke 8 years ago, I ordered 5 to keep on hand for replacements.
Before that, I had to replace one every year or two.
Now, they're still in my garage in the shipping boxes. None have broken since.
I 'suspect' the latest production version is a little stronger.

I'm in a part of NY state that gets lots of wind and lots of icing.

Rich

By the way, I'd pay several times the price of an ST2 if I could find a Channel Master 5094A antenna.
They were discontinued years ago.
They look similar to the Scantenna but work MUCH better.
Especially on the AIR band and UHF satellite frequencies.

I have one that's been in use since 1985 and if it ever breaks I'll be lost.
I've even given some thought to taking a Scantenna and cutting all the elements to match those on the 5094A just to see if they would perform nearly as well.

Last edited:

Blackink

When the last one broke 8 years ago, I ordered 5 to keep on hand for replacements.
Now, they're still in my garage in the shipping boxes. None have broken since.

I've even given some thought to taking a Scantenna and cutting all the elements to match those on the 5094A just to see if they would perform nearly as well.

What are ya waiting for? If I had that many on hand, I'd be tinkering with at least one of em!

One thing's for sure......you're definitely a fan of the Scantenna!

I wish I had mine up already but I was just too busy to get mine installed earlier this year, and then a rib injury installing metal roofing on my garage has slowed me down for 3-4 weeks.
I'm certainly looking forward to seeing the improvements on my reception once installed.

I Googled the Channel Master 5094A, looks very similar to the Scantenna.

lost_in_maine

I never use the supplied 50 ft of (hardly any shielding) coax that comes with the antenna...never had any good luck with it..
Running quad core on them now, not sure if I am brave enough to use LMR-400 due to the weight, and having to use the 300 ohm adapter..

rbm

What are ya waiting for? If I had that many on hand, I'd be tinkering with at least one of em!

Too many hobbies and too little time. ;)

I'd have to climb up there and take all the measurements, come back down and modify one of the antennas, climb back up and replace one of the existing antennas with the modified one.

During the winter it's too cold and icy and during the summer I'm too busy.

But, eventually it will happen.

Rich

By the way, this is what an ST2 can do if it's facing the correct direction with a good preamp.
Milsat Satcom Satellite SDRSharp with Eztv668 SDR dongle e4000 chip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p5IURvNhP0

Last edited:

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
I never use the supplied 50 ft of (hardly any shielding) coax that comes with the antenna...never had any good luck with it..
Running quad core on them now, not sure if I am brave enough to use LMR-400 due to the weight, and having to use the 300 ohm adapter..

Odd, am using the supplied coax and I haven't had any problems with it and I have had it for a while now.

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
I'd have to climb up there and take all the measurements, come back down and modify one of the antennas, climb back up and replace one of the existing antennas with the modified one.

I have much easier access to mine (in the attic :wink: )

I'll take measurements on my 5094A and PM them to you by week's end.

abbott26

Good Day! I am using a ST 2 mounted 30 foot or more with RG8 cable leading inside. I would like to run two scanner's off the one ST 2. I have a spilter and a Bearcat BC335c works great. The BCD996xt works but the next county 12 miles away is "low". When I change to direct from antenna to BCD996xt the signal is better but still scratchy. The antenna is pointed East West and the towers I am refering to is North.
I have read that the ST 2 is not a directional. Should I change to a North South or is there something else I am doing "not right"?

Blackink

Good Day! I am using a ST 2 mounted 30 foot or more with RG8 cable leading inside. I would like to run two scanner's off the one ST 2. I have a spilter and a Bearcat BC335c works great. The BCD996xt works but the next county 12 miles away is "low". When I change to direct from antenna to BCD996xt the signal is better but still scratchy. The antenna is pointed East West and the towers I am refering to is North.
I have read that the ST 2 is not a directional. Should I change to a North South or is there something else I am doing "not right"?

abbott26...I can't help you with your question but if you don't get any replies, try going to the Scanner / Receiver Antennas - The RadioReference.com Forums and start a new thread with your question.

Maybe the forum moderator will move this post to there anyway.
Good Luck

rbm

The ST2 is very definitely directional to some extent.

I have four of them around a single mast pole and I can receive signals on one that I can't receive as well on the others.

Also, in the MilSat band (240-270 MHz) I can receive the Atlantic satellite on one and the Pacific satellite on another.

I can receive more than one NOAA weather transmitter on almost every frequency and I can select one antenna over the others if I want to hear a specific location.

Rich

By the way, I'm running 32 scanners off of one of them.
Every single antenna I have (except one) is feeding multiple radios.

Last edited:

rbm

Here are two screen captures I just saved about one minute apart.

Both are tuned to the same frequency of 241.900 MHz.
You can see the data transmision on both, BUT, from the antenna that points to the west, you can see a second data signal down around 248.900 MHz.

The first one is from the ST2 pointed to the east.

The second is from the ST2 pointed to the west.

EAST:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

WEST:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:

abbott26

Thank you for your respones. I have added a 12db Amplifier and the signal has improved greatly! The antenna is pointing West and the Tower I am trying to get better is North but with the amp it shows full bar.
I may turn the antenna North and see if that does anything.

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Ok, I FINALLY got into the attic...!

Too many hobbies and too little time. ;)

During the winter it's too cold and icy and during the summer I'm too busy.

But, eventually it will happen.

Rich

Well, I want to REALLY REALLY apologize for the delay in taking those 5094A element measurements - between family, work and the fact that the attic was just too damned HOT lately it took longer to do this than I expected. But the job is done ;) and here are the element measurement:

Longest elements (for low band): exactly 63" tip to tip. There are (2) of these and these comprise the main dipole section of the antenna.

Shorter elements: exactly 19" tip to tip. I assume these are for VHF hi and UHF.

I didn't measure the 800MHz elements - these are kinda weird looking two-pronged dull forks and I'd have to sketch a picture and add all the dimensions - things are a little less hectic now so if you need those measurements let me know :)

Hope this helps.
-John

rbm

Well, I want to REALLY REALLY apologize for the delay in taking those 5094A element measurements - between family, work and the fact that the attic was just too damned HOT lately it took longer to do this than I expected. But the job is done ;)

Hope this helps.
-John

Thanks John,

I was hoping the weather would cool off a little and my 'to do' list would get a little shorter so I could get this done by now.
Neither happened.

I'll give a try as soon as I can.

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.