Hustler MOR NMO Scanner Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmg1969

I got my Hustler MOR NMO scanner antenna for my b-day yesterday. I installed it this morning and tried it out on my way down to pick my wife up from the hospital. I'm fairly impressed with it. It is at least as good as the Radio Shack magnetic mount. In fact, my county's VHF low seemed to come in a little stronger.

I opted to take the coax behind the top of the driver's fender, into the door jamb and down to a grommet in the door jamb. That brought it in near some electrical connections behind a kick plate. From there, I ran it under the molding of the door jamb and then under the driver's seat.

I can finally get rid of the magnetic mount. I might go do that while my wife rests.

A few pics I took during installation.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374429930.371661.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1374429945.996819.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1374430003.969665.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1374430014.932472.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1374430036.347371.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

skatertj

Glad to see you got it and its working out for you alright. Im thinking of upgrade to a low band antenna now... mor just doesnt pull in my lo band well enough. Looks good also!

dmg1969

Thanks, NodrogCop and skatertj. NodrogCop, this seemed to be the easiest way for me to run it without having to drill the firewall, which I did not want to do. Although I am a jack of all trades, I will admit that automotive is toward the bottom of my list of abilities. I'm just happy to finally have the NMO and havering gotten rid of the magnetic mount. That is currently on top of the hutch in my office to see if it improves my reception here in the office. If not, I may move it over and put it near the window since it has a metal sill.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Looks good, how hard was it to get the coax through to the radio?

dmg1969

Thanks, rt169Radio. It wasn't terribly difficult. I reverse fed a length of speaker wire and secured it to the coax with electrical tape to help feed it behind the top of the fender and again going through the grommet in the door jamb and into the passenger compartment. After that, I just routed it along the wiring harness, secured it with zip ties and then under the driver's seat. Fairly easy all in all. And I'm pleased that I don't seem to have any interference being that close to electrical wiring. I was concerned about that.

Last edited:

dmg1969

And I found a use for the rusting Radio Shack magnetic mount in my office. It's picking up very well compared to the Diamond RH77CA that I was using with my BC125AT. I can now hear the old low band Cumberland County fire frequency that is patched to their Open Sky system. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374513588.800280.jpg

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
dmg1969,

Nice install! Looks good! The reason you're picking up low band better now is because the MOR is a LOOOOOONG antenna ;) - can't change the rules of physics too much.

When get a chance can you "rate" this antenna on how it does with:

VHF-low (it will probably be pretty good)
VHF-high
UHF
800MHz

Good luck and good scanning!

skatertj

My MOR isnt so great on low band. Open area, it does well. City or around my house in country, not good at all. Strong signals are fuzzy and low band is rarely heard... i need a dedicated low band antenn

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

LIScanner101

My MOR isnt so great on low band. Open area, it does well. City or around my house in country, not good at all. Strong signals are fuzzy and low band is rarely heard... i need a dedicated low band antenn

Hi skatertj,

I'm a "low band buff" myself. My area still uses a hodgepodge of all the popular bands. Do you mind telling me what specific frequencies you are trying to pick up? In my case it's between 46.1000MHz and 46.5800MHz (FD countywide dispatch), with 46.1000 and 46.4600 being most popular.

Last edited:

skatertj

45.2200 and 44.7000mhz are my main two i try and monitor. Coming down I-75 through bartlesville OK or just north of there, low band was pretty clear. Had some rough spot but otherwise i could hear an officer and dispatched nicely. Coming into my area, any low band is just static with barely heard voice. I have planned on buying an nmo150. I heard they are great on low band if you keep it 49" and i could still monitor 150 bands but im still looking.

LIScanner101

Funny thing is, when I try to just do a bandwidth scan in the 44 to 45 area I tend to pick up a lot of static too, constantly breaking the squelch. Once I get into the low 46's I pick up almost NO static and more FD. I wonder if 44 to 45 is within the band of some static-producing items?

Do these two frequencies you are trying to listen to have a PL/DPL code? Maybe you can plug them in to see if it at least prevents your scanner from stopping on just noise....

skatertj

Yep pl tones are on with them. They dont break for just static though. You can vaguely hear an officer talking through the static so there is signal but i just think the antenna doesnt have the true capabilities to grab the full signal.

LIScanner101

Yep pl tones are on with them. They dont break for just static though. You can vaguely hear an officer talking through the static so there is signal but i just think the antenna doesnt have the true capabilities to grab the full signal.

Oh, OK, sounds like just very weak signals then. Any idea how far away the Rx is coming from?

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B350 Safari/8536.25)

I've found that the 12V cell phone chargers you plug into the cigarette lighter socket are super low band noise generators. When I unplug the cellphone charger noise stops, squelch works normally and low band works again.

skatertj

No it cant unless you were to cut the bottom half. The center coil is on permanently... no screws for the masts..

LIScanner101

The MON Series is made the same way. The center coil is molded in place. However, you can cut the top whip down according to a chart to optimize it for specific low band frequencies. Has no effect on other bands.

Status
Not open for further replies.