RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Topic Specific Forums > Antennas and Associated Hardware > Scanner / Receiver Antennas

Scanner / Receiver Antennas For discussion of any type of receiving antenna used by a scanner or receiver base, mobile or handheld.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-19-2013, 3:18 PM

Exclamation 800MHz antenna HELP

I live on the fringe area of several 800MHz Motorola Trunked systems. Using the RS800MHz antenna I'm able to just barely receive these systems with a lot of static. I've searched and found other portable antennas but I'm not sure if they'll perform any better.

My question, is there a portable antenna that performs better at 800MHz than the Radio Shack 800MHz antenna? Size makes no difference. I'd prefer to stay away from another base antenna (I'm running out of room in my attic) but I'd be willing to try a mag mount attached to a file cabinet.
Old 08-19-2013, 7:13 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I've tried a dozen different 800 antennas including commercial and cell phone antennas and I can say that nothing comes close to the RS antenna.

I use a mag mounted Laird Tech TRAB7603 on my SUV with excellent results and am considering another one for inside the home.

Last edited by W8RMH; 08-19-2013 at 7:16 PM..