RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Topic Specific Forums > Antennas and Associated Hardware > Scanner / Receiver Antennas

Scanner / Receiver Antennas For discussion of any type of receiving antenna used by a scanner or receiver base, mobile or handheld.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 08-26-2013, 6:00 PM
russellmaher's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Enfield, CT
Posts: 882
Default

Go to the rfwiz site and you will see three types of mounts - magnet, trunk, and 3/4" hole mount. The coax is attached to the mount which you will attach the antenna to.

Just remember to pick the type of connector (on the scanner end of the coax) that you need - BNC, PL-259, or old style Motorola (just like connects to car radios) depending on the scanner you'll be using.

I did try bending mine over and was able to get close to a 90 degree bend on it but didn't have the nerve to go further.

Hope this helps!

Russell
__________________
SEMPER PARATUS

BCD396T BCT-7 BCD350C PRO-2052 ICOM R-75 BC175XL REGENCY R-1050 TDXone TD-Q8A
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 08-26-2013, 7:13 PM
AronDouglas's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southeast Georiga
Posts: 265
Default

I am 50/50 on two antennas and its irritating me lol. I want an Antenna Specialist MON-R33 with roof mount, (those are near impossible to find) I can get, however, a MON-R32 with trunk mount (I dont want trunk mount)..and thats $100. Or I could get the Austin for $130 with roof mount and the scanner plug I need. I'll sleep on it and hopefully come to a conclusion.

Can I put a spring between the antenna and the mount? I'm not sure how the roof mount works, but I assume its similar.


Last edited by AronDouglas; 08-26-2013 at 7:17 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 08-26-2013, 8:08 PM
russellmaher's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Enfield, CT
Posts: 882
Default Ummm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AronDouglas View Post

Can I put a spring between the antenna and the mount? I'm not sure how the roof mount works, but I assume its similar.

I really can't answer that since I've not had the need to mount another or larger spring than the one that comes with it.

Looking at the mounting instructions on rfwiz, I would not think it possible. Maybe another member with some expertise on this could give you an answer.

This is the instructions on mounting the Spectra I'm looking at.

Austin Antenna Spectra Multiband Mobile/Base Scanner Antenna Setup & Tuning Guide
__________________
SEMPER PARATUS

BCD396T BCT-7 BCD350C PRO-2052 ICOM R-75 BC175XL REGENCY R-1050 TDXone TD-Q8A
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 08-26-2013, 8:24 PM
AronDouglas's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southeast Georiga
Posts: 265
Default

From the looks of it, most of their mounts look like a NMO mount style. I just need to find mroe information on the roof mount.

And this is why I hate budget builds I planed to keep the antenna under $80 and 20" or shorter, but thats all changed now. I might as well go for broke and get the antenna, mount and connector/wire that I want.

I find it odd that they do not allow returns. I would think that they would have some sort of warranty on their product.
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 08-27-2013, 9:47 AM
russellmaher's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Enfield, CT
Posts: 882
Default

The roof mount will be the "3/4 hole mount" where you have to drill the hole in the center of your roof and then run the mount under the roof in the hole you created then screw the antenna down onto that mount that sticks out of the hole.

It's easier to do than it sounds...my putting it into words makes it sound difficult.

Russell
__________________
SEMPER PARATUS

BCD396T BCT-7 BCD350C PRO-2052 ICOM R-75 BC175XL REGENCY R-1050 TDXone TD-Q8A
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 08-27-2013, 2:26 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Hicksville, Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,431
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AronDouglas View Post
I am 50/50 on two antennas and its irritating me lol. I want an Antenna Specialist MON-R33 with roof mount, (those are near impossible to find) I can get, however, a MON-R32 with trunk mount (I dont want trunk mount)..and thats $100. Or I could get the Austin for $130 with roof mount and the scanner plug I need. I'll sleep on it and hopefully come to a conclusion.

Can I put a spring between the antenna and the mount? I'm not sure how the roof mount works, but I assume its similar.



If I had the choice between an Austin Spectra (for $130) or a MON-R32 for $100 I’d JUMP on the MON-R32. The upside cup-like base of the MON-R32 is an NMO base. You can easily screw that right into ANYONE’S NMO base. Go for it!
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 08-27-2013, 3:18 PM
russellmaher's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Enfield, CT
Posts: 882
Default

I thought the A/S MON series had been discontinued, so where is this MON R-32 coming from?

Can someone post a link so I can see it?

Thanks,

Russell
__________________
SEMPER PARATUS

BCD396T BCT-7 BCD350C PRO-2052 ICOM R-75 BC175XL REGENCY R-1050 TDXone TD-Q8A
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 08-27-2013, 4:18 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: tenn
Posts: 31
Default

your correct, they have discontinued, but sometimes they can be found ebay.
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 08-27-2013, 4:24 PM
russellmaher's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Enfield, CT
Posts: 882
Default Oh yeah,

Quote:
Originally Posted by monitor51 View Post
your correct, they have discontinued, but sometimes they can be found ebay.
why didn't I think of that? DUH!

Thank you....


Russell
__________________
SEMPER PARATUS

BCD396T BCT-7 BCD350C PRO-2052 ICOM R-75 BC175XL REGENCY R-1050 TDXone TD-Q8A
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 08-27-2013, 5:49 PM
AronDouglas's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southeast Georiga
Posts: 265
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIScanner101 View Post
If I had the choice between an Austin Spectra (for $130) or a MON-R32 for $100 I’d JUMP on the MON-R32. The upside cup-like base of the MON-R32 is an NMO base. You can easily screw that right into ANYONE’S NMO base. Go for it!
I still might, but I originally wanted a R33 with roof mount. The MON-32 thats up for grabs has a trunk mount. I cant make the mount work is I wanted to (antenna is being mounted on top of a truck). Basically it comes down to this...there is a $100 antenna with the "wrong" mount and its a discontinued model (who knows when I'll find another one), or there is a $130 antenna with the correct mount and its still available/being made.

Does anyone have information on the various types of Antenna Specialist antennas? There is a 51, 51, 32 and 33 model (as far as I know). According to Universal Radios discontinued antenna page, I want the R33 with BNC connector (its a roof/hole mount). http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/scanantsD.html

Quote:
I thought the A/S MON series had been discontinued, so where is this MON R-32 coming from?

Can someone post a link so I can see it?
I'd rather not post my source, otherwise someone might by it out from under me

Last edited by AronDouglas; 08-27-2013 at 6:00 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #31 (permalink)  
Old 08-27-2013, 8:58 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Hicksville, Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,431
Default

AronDouglas,

I'll try to clarify it for you. ALL of the MON's can be DIRECTLY screwed onto ANY NMO mount. When you say "roof mount" what do you mean exactly? You do know you can install an NMO mount into the roof of a car, right? I did that with my 1996 Ford F250HD. Now I can put practically antenna I want on it.

I hope this helps clarify things.
Reply With Quote
  #32 (permalink)  
Old 08-27-2013, 9:02 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Hicksville, Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,431
Default

Here's a page from the MON-R33 manual. As you can see part "h" is just the top part of a standard NMO mount.
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #33 (permalink)  
Old 08-27-2013, 9:42 PM
AronDouglas's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southeast Georiga
Posts: 265
Default

Thanks for the diagram, it did help. I do know how to mount a NMO. The MON antennas have a roof/base mounting option. I guess its just a NMO mounting because it says it requires a 3/4" hole.

I'll bring up the spring thing again. I want to mount the antenna on a spring primarily to take the stress instead of the antenna. Can I put a spring between C (antenna) and F (whats that called again?). Will this mess up the reception? I assume it will because CB guys use a springs to tune a little bit.

Last edited by AronDouglas; 08-27-2013 at 10:09 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #34 (permalink)  
Old 08-27-2013, 10:08 PM
AronDouglas's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southeast Georiga
Posts: 265
Default

Ok, I've come to a conclusion. If I cant find an Antenna Specialist (preferable MON58 or 32) mobile antenna with roof/base (not mag or trunk mount),I'm going to get an Austin Spectra.

Last edited by AronDouglas; 08-27-2013 at 10:11 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #35 (permalink)  
Old 08-28-2013, 7:31 AM
russellmaher's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Enfield, CT
Posts: 882
Default

Hi AronDouglas:

You keep repeating that you would like to install a spring to take the stress.

The Spectra already has such a spring that's designed to take the stress from the antenna bending.

I refer you back to the picture in your post #22 where you put in the red arrow. You're pointing at the base of the spring - which I remind you is 2 1/8 inches tall. Is this not what you're referring to when you say a spring is needed?

Just be sure (if and when you DO order a Spectra) to order the roof mount system.

Russell
__________________
SEMPER PARATUS

BCD396T BCT-7 BCD350C PRO-2052 ICOM R-75 BC175XL REGENCY R-1050 TDXone TD-Q8A
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #36 (permalink)  
Old 08-28-2013, 8:34 AM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,443
Default

The A/S NMO mount is not a standard Motorola or Larsen 3/4" hole mount, it uses a 3/8" mount and is not compatible with all NMO antennas. But their whips will fit any NMO mount.
prcguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AronDouglas View Post
Thanks for the diagram, it did help. I do know how to mount a NMO. The MON antennas have a roof/base mounting option. I guess its just a NMO mounting because it says it requires a 3/4" hole.

I'll bring up the spring thing again. I want to mount the antenna on a spring primarily to take the stress instead of the antenna. Can I put a spring between C (antenna) and F (whats that called again?). Will this mess up the reception? I assume it will because CB guys use a springs to tune a little bit.
Reply With Quote
  #37 (permalink)  
Old 08-28-2013, 11:08 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: tenn
Posts: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellmaher View Post
why didn't I think of that? DUH!

Thank you....


Russell
your welcome
Reply With Quote
  #38 (permalink)  
Old 08-28-2013, 11:34 AM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Hicksville, Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,431
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prcguy View Post
The A/S NMO mount is not a standard Motorola or Larsen 3/4" hole mount, it uses a 3/8" mount and is not compatible with all NMO antennas. But their whips will fit any NMO mount.
prcguy
I understand that. I was trying to tell AronDouglas that, if he buys the entire A/S antenna (INCLUDING the mount, which would come with it anyway) he can just toss out the mount, buy a separate NMO mount kit w/cable from "anybody" and then just install that.

AronDouglas:

You keep saying that you wanted to install a "roof mount" but also don't know how to install an NMO mount. They're pretty similar, either one will require you to drill a hole in the roof, then install the mount, then you should be able to install the A/S or ANY NMO-type antenna after that.
Reply With Quote
  #39 (permalink)  
Old 08-28-2013, 2:23 PM
AronDouglas's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southeast Georiga
Posts: 265
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellmaher View Post
Hi AronDouglas:

You keep repeating that you would like to install a spring to take the stress.

The Spectra already has such a spring that's designed to take the stress from the antenna bending.

I refer you back to the picture in your post #22 where you put in the red arrow. You're pointing at the base of the spring - which I remind you is 2 1/8 inches tall. Is this not what you're referring to when you say a spring is needed?

Just be sure (if and when you DO order a Spectra) to order the roof mount system.

Russell
Yes, i remember you saying that. I was referring to the Antenna Specialist MON antennas being spring mounted (sorry if I didn't make that clear).

Quote:
The A/S NMO mount is not a standard Motorola or Larsen 3/4" hole mount, it uses a 3/8" mount and is not compatible with all NMO antennas. But their whips will fit any NMO mount.
prcguy
This is did not know, or at least fully understand. I knew the antenna would fit any NMO, but i was not sure actual mount (i would have learned that upon purchase/arrival).

Scanner should be in today I think I've settled it though, I'm going with an Austin Spectra. Next year some time when I outfit another truck with a CB and scanner, I'll try and get an Antenna Specialist MON. I'd like to see how the two of them compare with the BCT15X and in my work areas.

Thanks for all the very useful help everyone, it was a lot of good and fun reading/research.
Reply With Quote
  #40 (permalink)  
Old 08-28-2013, 2:48 PM
russellmaher's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Enfield, CT
Posts: 882
Default

Very good, sir! Be sure to keep us informed about when you get it up and running and how it performs for you. Best wishes,

Russell
__________________
SEMPER PARATUS

BCD396T BCT-7 BCD350C PRO-2052 ICOM R-75 BC175XL REGENCY R-1050 TDXone TD-Q8A
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 6:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2011 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions