Joined the ST2 club

Status
Not open for further replies.

doublescan

Ordered one of those ST2 antennas last Tuesday, it was delivered on Friday! Finally got to it today, and have been listening for a few hours now. I think it was a good purchase, the strength of the signals I'm receiving have increased noticeably. Almost sounds like a preamp connected!
Haven't gotten the antenna up as high as I would like yet, and I'm only listening to VHF-Hi and airband stuff, so I can't comment on the other ranges of frequencies the ST2 is supposed to be good for. Police and fire calls in the 155 range, and commercial aircraft band are my interests.
For the price, this is a no-brainer, easy to install. I'll have to try turning it a little as others have posted that it is somewhat directional, I'll have to find out how that affects the signals.
From SolidSignal through Amazon, ships with 50' RG6, f-connectors installed, with an F-BNC adapter included.

ZippyZ

Premium Subscriber
I ordered one as well. Should be here the end of the week. Enjoy!

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B350 Safari/8536.25)

A good antenna trumps any preamp. Good antennas like the ST-2 should be the first consideration. Preamps are primarily to make up for losses in long cable runs from antenna to radio. No long cable run? Then no preamp likely necessary.

Last edited:

doublescan

Discovered today just how 'directional' this omnidirectional ST2 is! Looking at the antenna on my tower, I decided that it just looked like it should be facing the opposite way. Took my little handheld up with me, and turned the antenna (no rotor, lol) and immediately could tell a difference in the signals from the Birmingham airport. Listening to the tower some tonight-though it's still weak and scratchy. More height, next on my agenda, may get me better signal.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Yup, that's another interesting thing about that antenna.

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
It does stand to reason that the ST-2 (or any long vertical dipole like it, such as the vintage Monitenna) is bound to be somewhat directional. The mast it's mounted on probably acts like a reflector of sorts. The only way around this would be to mount this on a totally fiberglass mast.

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
The only way around this would be to mount this on a totally fiberglass mast.

Don't give me any ideas...:wink:

Anyone have reasonable luck on 800mhz. using this in comparison to something else they may have used on 800?
I have two 800mhz. 8-element yagi's up so I will be able to do a comparison once I get mine up.

Bob

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Don't give me any ideas...:wink:

Anyone have reasonable luck on 800mhz. using this in comparison to something else they may have used on 800?
I have two 800mhz. 8-element yagi's up so I will be able to do a comparison once I get mine up.

Bob

Well I can pick up 900MHz freqs just fine with the ST2, so I guess it would good on the 800MHz band too.

Status
Not open for further replies.