RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Topic Specific Forums > Antennas and Associated Hardware > Scanner / Receiver Antennas

Scanner / Receiver Antennas For discussion of any type of receiving antenna used by a scanner or receiver base, mobile or handheld.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-21-2013, 5:00 PM

Default Kenwood Tk7160H VHF Antenna Question

Hello All,
I have a Kenwood TK7160H 45Watt Vhf radio. I live in a city of 58.2 Sq Mi. I want to use the radio as a "Receiver" for all the freq in the VHF Band here. The problem is that I live in an apartment complex and cant have any exterior antenna's. Would a 1/4wave antenna inside the apt pick up just as well or is there something else I need to do?
Sponsored links
Old 11-21-2013, 6:20 PM
Database Admin
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

A 1/4 wave antenna will do great, however you will find better reception from a 5/8 wave. You will see gain antennas advertized but that only really make a difference on transmit. The other big thing you will want to look at on the antenna is the frequency range. This can make a difference depending on the frequencies you want to listen to.