Wide Band Mobile Scanner Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmh603

I have read lots of posts in here and in different forum's. I am unable to find any good info on a mobile scanner antenna? I am looking for a Scanner Antenna that covers 136-174 (VHF) 380-560 (UHF) and 700/800. I do not want a scanner antenna that has "Unity dBi " I want one that has at least 3 dBi on all bands. I am also wanting a Spring Loaded Antenna since I will have it on the roof of my vehicle with a NMO Mount with 50 ohm Match. Vswr < 2.5:1 if possible. Is there such a mobile scanner antenna? Anyone have any good ideas with name brand or model number? Need a good long lasting mobile scanner antenna!

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B554a Safari/9537.53)

Diamond D-220 gets you close on VHF-HI with 2.15 dBd gain, but you'll be hard pressed to find something hitting 3db or better on a wideband mobile antenna that you'd want on the vehicle rooftop.

signal500

K4DPS
Premium Subscriber
I have read lots of posts in here and in different forum's. I am unable to find any good info on a mobile scanner antenna? I am looking for a Scanner Antenna that covers 136-174 (VHF) 380-560 (UHF) and 700/800. I do not want a scanner antenna that has "Unity dBi " I want one that has at least 3 dBi on all bands. I am also wanting a Spring Loaded Antenna since I will have it on the roof of my vehicle with a NMO Mount with 50 ohm Match. Vswr < 2.5:1 if possible. Is there such a mobile scanner antenna? Anyone have any good ideas with name brand or model number? Need a good long lasting mobile scanner antenna!

I have had good luck with the Austin 500C31 on coverage for the bands you described, but finding one that will give you 3dBi on all bands will be a challenge.

Austin Antenna Triune Series Multi-band Antenna Information Page

Another good antenna is the Laird Technologies multi-band antenna that gives unity on VHF and 6 dBi on UHF/700/800 MHz

Laird Technologies WPD136M6C-001 136-174/380-520/760-870 MHz Antenna w/ Spring | TESSCO

…. I am looking for a Scanner Antenna that covers 136-174 (VHF) 380-560 (UHF) and 700/800. I do not want a scanner antenna that has "Unity dBi " I want one that has at least 3 dBi on all bands. I am also wanting a Spring Loaded Antenna since I will have it on the roof of my vehicle…. Vswr < 2.5:1 if possible…..!

You mention "Unity Dbi" and 3dbi, as well as VSWR of <2.5:1. Are you planning on transmitting?

The spring equipped antenna and on the roof are good ideas. If all you are going to do is receive, just put an 18 inch VHF quarter wave antenna up there. It will hear all of those bands just fine, and cost you a whopping $20 max.

kmh603

No Plans on Transmitting. Antenna will only be used for a Scanner. Just trying to find a great all band mobile scanner antenna with good dbi?

Thanks for the replies.

No Plans on Transmitting. Antenna will only be used for a Scanner. Just trying to find a great all band mobile scanner antenna with good dbi?

Thanks for the replies.

If all you are to use the antenna for is receiving, db, dbi, and VSWR are pretty much meaningless.

I mounted my scan antenna (1/4 wave VHF) on an "L" bracket, about midway betweeen the front and back of the bed, drivers side INSIDE my truck topper. I put it there for some spacing from the three transmitting antennas already mounted on the roof. I hear 10m Ham, Air, 2m, VHF/UHF public service, 700/800, and even 1.2 gig Ham with no issues whatsoever.

edit to add note: It's a fiberglass topper.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
For mobile scanners, I've always just used a simple VHF quarter wave 18" whip. It works great at VHF, works good as a 3/4 wave antenna at UHF, and at 800, it received enough signal that I never noticed whether or not it was sub-optimal... it just worked, and signals were similar to a 1/4 wave 800 spike.

Status
Not open for further replies.