antenna for 850-858 & 775 Mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.

llwade

Premium Subscriber
I would rather not install a multi-band discone antenna.
I want to listen to 850-858 Mhz. for city and county departments in the area.
The Illinois State Police operates on 775 Mhz.
will this require a separate antenna or will the 850-858 Mhz antenna do the job for both.
ISP tower is about 20 miles away.

llwade

Premium Subscriber
thank you for info. I really like this antenna and the gain is greater than what I am used to seeing.
I am going to have to run 50-75 feet of coax. what would I use to get the biggest bang for the buck ?

llwade

Premium Subscriber
W8RMH

read the info on the antenna again & went ahead & placed the order. I liked what I saw and the price was about $20.00 cheaper than the other places I tried. Now I have to read up on coax to make sure I get what I need without going bankrup in the process,

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
You can buy coax from the same company that sells the antenna you ordered. The antenna has an N connector - what kind of connector do you have on the other end? Your supplier offers custom cable sets. Unless your soldering skills are up to the task, you might want to order a made up cable. Order something like LMR-400 or 9913. No point in ordering a good antenna and then losing the signal in the coax.

llwade

Premium Subscriber
on the coax. would appreciate your input.
considering BELDON RF240,
75 foot of coax,
with N-male plug on one end & BNC-female plug on opposite end.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Belden RF240 has a loss of 7db per 100 ft at 900Mhz. This is an RG8X variant. Belden 9913 has a loss of 4.2db per 100 ft at 900Mhz. Don't get cheap coax. Friends don't let friends buy Radio Shack coax. Use 9913 or LMR400 otherwise the gain in the antenna will be more than lost in the coax.

Status
Not open for further replies.