One scanner, two antennas

Status
Not open for further replies.

dispatcher812

Premium Subscriber
I have been considering a new mobile antenna for my 536. I listen to all ranges but mostly VHF high and 800. I have seen some decent ones on scanner master's site but I know that certain antennas are tuned and receive better for a certain range. Is it possible to put two antennas of different ranges to one scanner?

n5ims

I have been considering a new mobile antenna for my 536. I listen to all ranges but mostly VHF high and 800. I have seen some decent ones on scanner master's site but I know that certain antennas are tuned and receive better for a certain range. Is it possible to put two antennas of different ranges to one scanner?

Possible yes, but results will probably not be what you expect. Go through this thread (http://forums.radioreference.com/sp...57-running-one-scanner-multiple-antennas.html) - a 'sticky thread' that's all about this topic for details.

Two things to think about:

* First, to do it correctly, you'll need something to isolate the frequency ranges from the two antennas. A duplexer with one side that goes through 160 MHz or so and the other side that includes the 800 - 870 MHz range.

* Second, an easier (cheaper and less noticeable) option would be to get a single antenna designed to cover those two bands. The Larson tri-band 150/450/800 is a quality antenna that should do the job quite well. I have several and they work well for me. Since it uses the standard NMO mount, you can easily swap it in and out as desired (I swap between this and various single or dual band antennas as my needs/desires change (like using a shorty low profile antenna for garage access or a long, high gain antenna when traveling long distances).

dispatcher812

Premium Subscriber
Possible yes, but results will probably not be what you expect. Go through this thread (http://forums.radioreference.com/sp...57-running-one-scanner-multiple-antennas.html) - a 'sticky thread' that's all about this topic for details.

Two things to think about:

* First, to do it correctly, you'll need something to isolate the frequency ranges from the two antennas. A duplexer with one side that goes through 160 MHz or so and the other side that includes the 800 - 870 MHz range.

* Second, an easier (cheaper and less noticeable) option would be to get a single antenna designed to cover those two bands. The Larson tri-band 150/450/800 is a quality antenna that should do the job quite well. I have several and they work well for me. Since it uses the standard NMO mount, you can easily swap it in and out as desired (I swap between this and various single or dual band antennas as my needs/desires change (like using a shorty low profile antenna for garage access or a long, high gain antenna when traveling long distances).

Thanks however that is a little too step of a price for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.