RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Antennas and Associated Hardware > Scanner / Receiver Antennas

Scanner / Receiver Antennas - For discussion of any type of receiving antenna used by a scanner or receiver base, mobile or handheld.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2018, 6:26 AM

Default Is dual 800 Mhz Yagi possible?

In stacking it true. Different directions itís not.
From a person from DX.
Shall see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored links
Old 10-09-2018, 5:29 PM

If you get reflections of buildings or terrain you'll receive a signal from both antennas. And at lower frequencies it starts to look more and more like a dipole with those strong side loobs and have an almost 180 coverage from one antenna.

/Ubbe
Old 10-09-2018, 6:19 PM

As of now my radiation pattern west is in red & pulling in simulcast systems 70 miles.
Which I think is pretty good.
Figured if I add another Yagi and pointed it west north west (green) I can pick up another 4 counties out of the 11 I already can pick up.
From what DX and today got in touch with ScannerMaster he said it will work with a use of a SP-1300 Combiner/Splitter in reverse.
I would just use a omni antenna but every thing east of me is P.A and is encrypted or going to be on ICORRS (Inter County Regional Radio System) which I donít have any problems picking up the two sites closest to me.
Worth a shot and gotten a two goís from two pros.
Whatís the worst that can happen,besides falling off the ladder....

Old 10-09-2018, 6:24 PM

If it works look out...

Old 10-10-2018, 11:59 AM

You have to realise that they are pro's at selling. When it comes to monitoring and experimenting with antennas they are just like you and me, they try to monitor and experiment with antennas as a hobby in their limited spare time. I would trust more on the combined knowledge from a forum with world wide members who has both experiance and personal use than a single sales person who never can reach to that level of understanding and experiance.

A SP-1300 works just as a standard CATV splitter you can get for $5 and it's absolutly no reason to pay $50 for it. Just reading the basic spec text "After testing the SP-1300 for over a month, it works like charm, with no signal lost." says it all. It sounds as a customer review but are part of the info text. You will always have a 3dB loss, plus additional 0,2-1,0dB loss from the electronic design, in a splitter. You can't cheat the law of physics.

/Ubbe
Old 10-10-2018, 12:32 PM

Iím just getting all information and things I might need & going from there with my own experiment.
Alvin says one thing, Simon says another, I just take the knowledge from all and put it together see if itís going to work.
As for the $5 or $50 makes zero difference when your in a hobby as expensive as this one.
We all got boxís full of stuff worth hundreds if not thousands that we donít use or have become obsolete. Hell I know I do.
If ya donít then I guess you havenít done to much experimenting.
Everyone is a teacher and a student,as both I take all advice, input & thank them and you for it.

Old 10-10-2018, 1:29 PM

The 8 element Yagi has 13.05dBi gain or about 10.88dB gain over a dipole. You can easily get a 10dBd gain omni and receive everything in all directions about the same as your Yagi pointed in one direction.
Old 10-10-2018, 9:43 PM

I did tried a friends 746-806 MHz Omni 8 dBi from excel couldnít pick up a MARCS tower site 34 miles away let alone Stark & Summit counties 40-50 miles
With the one Wilson Yagi Iím reaching the Parma / Medina County / Ottawa County thatís 70 miles.
Ya just canít get that with in Omni Antenna.
At least in my current location.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:34 PM

The Yagi you have now has about 5dB more gain than your friends omni, and that's enough to make the difference. I'm talking an omni with about the same gain as your Yagi.

Sometimes comparing an omni with a Yagi of the same gain gives different results at different locations because of multipath, or signals bouncing off distant stuff and arriving out of phase and canceling the main signal. Sometimes a Yagi can reject reflections and avoid cancellation and sometimes the reflections can make a positive effect and an omni can make better use of them. This is with all other aspects of receiving the signal being the same in these cases.

If you have no major multipath problems a big omni with similar gain to your Yagi will receive what you get now about the same and will also allow to pick up things in different directions you don't get now. A real 10dB fiberglass stick for 800MHz will be at least 10ft long and they show up surplus for good prices here and there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankhappyg View Post
I did tried a friends 746-806 MHz Omni 8 dBi from excel couldn’t pick up a MARCS tower site 34 miles away let alone Stark & Summit counties 40-50 miles
With the one Wilson Yagi I’m reaching the Parma / Medina County / Ottawa County that’s 70 miles.
Ya just can’t get that with in Omni Antenna.
At least in my current location.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:14 PM

Thatís my point where I am Omni is useless